• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free Flight.. is it frowned upon?

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
More free flights in the open.

From Singapore. That big guy in blue is Silvanus. In 2002, he was stunned by me and Tinkerbell in Taiwan. He never realised a birdie can fly and meant to fly. From time to time when I return to Singapore I talked more with him. What I wrote made sense to him.

To cut a long story short, he is now the Chairman of Free flight birdies in Singapore.

FREE FLIGHT IS LIFE AND DEATH PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF UNLESS YOU DO KNOW.
NEVER EVER FREE FLY WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE AS THIS CAN LEAD TO LOSS AND DEATH OF YOUR BIRD.

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks for posting! You videos always make me cry! They are so happy and free really love it thanks x

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
thanks hun you always show birds having fun thanks but Mango will stay in doors where hes safe and I will do the dreaming of free flight,,lol

thanks love it when you come by hugsssssssss

Kaylea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kaylea
Wow

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When you say "free flight" I wonder what you are referring to. Is it free flight within your home or do you mean fly free outside at all times only returning for meals or sleep? Or, do you mean flying freely under specific circumstances where you are there to provide some supervision? Flight is wonderful for any bird that can safely fly. Personally I would be afraid to let a bird fly free outside, even with proper training too many risk and there. Do you have the personal level of risk tolerance needed to fly outside where predators may attack and birds may well, and do, fly off? I sure do not. If you intend to free flight a bird you may want to seek out training skills yourself first and then your bird. Free flight requires much training of both the person and bird. Wish you well in this venture.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gps tracker for falconry can be used for parrots. Check this video.
Marshall Radio Telemetry - Video: AeroVision Design
Do you have experience using it for parrots or know someone that has? I've had to replace the antennae on my Marshall radio transmitter a few times because my red tail has chewed it off if I forget to take the tracking device off after flying. Parrots have much stronger beaks, wouldn't have to work at it so hard and could have it off in the field. Also, I'd have to look into how much pressure that little metal housing device can take. I'd think most macaws could crush it. When I googled Marshal transmitter for parrots, I didn't get anything.

atalanta

Meeting neighbors
Do you have experience using it for parrots or know someone that has? I've had to replace the antennae on my Marshall radio transmitter a few times because my red tail has chewed it off if I forget to take the tracking device off after flying. Parrots have much stronger beaks, wouldn't have to work at it so hard and could have it off in the field. Also, I'd have to look into how much pressure that little metal housing device can take. I'd think most macaws could crush it. When I googled Marshal transmitter for parrots, I didn't get anything.
I was thinking the same thing and have been researching how to attach it to a parrot. I talked to the guy at Mike's Falconry. I thought it was funny that they were "gluing" it on the falcon and leaving it there. That would never work on a parrot. It would just be another chew toy. I think the transmitter would need to be attached on a harness, leg band or something and also it would need some type of casing protection. It looks promising for people who want to free fly. Something for us to ponder. :)

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You'd probably have better luck calling up the Marshall company itself. If you talk to falconers, they are likely to do an eye roll and curse pet owners everywhere for bothering them. There are few things worse in the falconry world that to be called a "pet owner." On the other hand, Marshall might be interested in learning of a new clientele.

oliver58

Checking out the neighborhood
Free flight or any activity with a bird or other animal is ok if you know what you are doing. Free flying a bird has often been misinterpreted in how it is done so caution is always provided. Different activities for different people. Learn about it

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
How did I miss Shanlung's video!? I love the free flying videos he posts.

I wish there were groups in the US that did this.

I wonder what their numbers are of accidents/lost birds. I'm sure there are some, but are they the rarity, or something they all are aware can happen?

Other countries are much more relaxed, than we are here in the US, on free flying.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
free flight is same in my eyes as hunting killing a rabbit for dinner ,lol I could not do it im not saying I don't wish I could me id love to free flight but im chicken

to each is own I have my bird cage free in my home my hole place is open to my bird no restrictions , I have no fear of my bird going out a door if left open reason I cover my doors leading out with a large bed sheet 1 foot each side of door and never have fear even when I leave it open to are my place out wind blows ir around but birds don't like things that move ,,lol we have to learn not to judge one another as we do cause every one in many ways dose things some other person wouldn't do to them that want to free flight go for it but first find some one to teach you the dos and donts first make sure you can live with your self if something happens like you lose your bird if you are honest with your self that's all that matters , not what others think of you

hamish05064

Moving in
Real Name
EW
Never consider the free stuffs as they would only mess up the thing and nothing else

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I read somewhere that a person who free-flighted their bird taught it to recite its address and phone number in case it flew off and was found later.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wish there were groups in the US that did this.
I think there might be... but these groups would be terribly small and probably quite "secretive", considering how controversial the topic is. I know that there are people who *do* free-fly their parrots and have heard of some meeting up and free-flying their parrots together, at least.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I knew a woman in Nevada who had a free flighted, cage free U2. Pretty awesome bird, I can say that.

I always wondered though what that bird would go through when she died, she was in her late 60's, the bird only 12.

Here's a few photos of Angel in my yard. Didn't need a lawn mower in Nevada!

She loved to sit on my dog training wall and just sun bathe. She's with her owner in the one pic. How I met her is a very long story. She walked to the beat of her own drum.

IMG_4411.JPG IMG_4418.JPG IMG_4420.JPG

Chihuahua

after my gabby flew away and was gone for 3 days I will never feel comfortable with free flight with all the training in the world...

Chihuahua

i do customer service for a GPS pet tracker that would be small enough for a macaw I think, but not strong enough for their beak... focus is on dogs of course but I've suggested bird trackers for the future and they seemed interested at least.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I would think that it would be very difficult to create a GPS tracker that is light enough for a bird to fly with, yet strong enough to withstand a beak that can easily crack a walnut.