• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free Budgie has Splayed Legs

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Saw this advert on one of our websites so I responded to the advert via email. This sweetie is only about 15mins away and I am worried that because he (or she) is Free, anybody would take him. I asked the poster how old he was, had he been a-vetted? I also commented that if he doesnt give him to me, then to be careful who he gives him to as he requires special care because of his legs. I really dont want another birdy right now but how can anyone say no to a bird who needs help? I only hope I have learnt enough here to make his life a good one.

Update: I just got an little blue budgie with splay legs. Off to read some info here. Busy now getting organised for the little one, pick him up on Thursday. He also HAS NOT been vetted so guess wherw we will be going on friday

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yeah Lynne. Is he young enough that splinting might help?

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Thank you for taking this little one in. :heart: I wish you all the best with him.

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
I think (from what I have read here) that he may be a little too old. It is quite late at night here (11.30pm) and I dont want to harrass the guy but he replied via email that "he got a bulk lot a few weeks ago and he was in this lot and he doesnt want to put him/her down because of this disability" I will take him/her to m a-vet on friday and see if anything can be done for him/her, if so, great. if not, then I will give him/her the best life I can. He did say the birdy eats well and can fly. I have read a number of posts in special needs for splayed legs - I currently have a flight cage that is longer than high, so will use that till I can see how he adapts and what the vet says.
He is a blue budgie, so now for names

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Wonderful that you are going to give baby blue a home, I'm sure you are very prepared and he will never even know his disability in your care :) How about Bubbles for a name?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats! Thank you for giving him a home! :hug8: I can't help on the splayed legs but hopefully the vet can help him.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
thanks forgiving the little blue guy a good home...there are many ways you can make a budgie with splayed legs comfy...flat perches are one...bless your heart for taking him into your home.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
The good thing about this guy is that the budgie has never known anything different. His splayed legs are 'normal' to him. You'll put a lot of thought into this, but he won't think a thing about it.

Miss Al doesn't know she's different. She just lives how she thinks she should. I have to move her from place to place, but she doesn't know there's any other way to do things...and when she gets her tail feathers back we're going to teach this 7 year old lady to fly!

The budgie is at an advantage because he knows to fly already. :)

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Thanks Guys. I really dont know if I am the right person for the job (but hey! that what being a parrot forum member is about, supporting, helping, advising each other) but this website 'gets to me' sometimes cos people often ask for "free birds" Usually they make the comment that they are pensioners, have little money etc which really is not an option for me if you want to take on an animal with special needs.

I read past posts on splayed legs and think I know what I need as far as perches, cage etc but do I need any food supplements to help with strength, bones, muscles etc. I AM taking him to the a-vet on Friday (I pick him up 6pm Thursday night) so I can ask them but they treat these birds, you guys live with them, so bring on any info you want to impart. Thanks again

PS - sooooo nervous

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
You'll be fine! Confidence is key! Pretend that you aren't nervous! (That's what I tell people when they are too afraid to hold a macaw at work :D)

I haven't heard of giving any special foods to help with splay legs in particular, but some extra leafy greens couldn't hurt him!

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Well, the little sweety is here. maybe I am used to my others, but s/he looks soooooooooo tiny. The legs are bad - doing the full splits. But somehow s/he is perching on a round perch. The a-vet is unavailable today and fully booked Monday. I have been doing lots of research. At the moment I am just letting him/her settle. S/he is apparantly 11-12 weeks old

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
awww, she sounds adorable, Lynne!:heart: