• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freddy's New Play Gym

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Was really supposed to be a stand for a large boing I got him but...my imagination ran wild! The platform swing idea I got from pintrest. The toys and baby rings I purchased from the thrift store I work at. It will be set into a half barrel planter bought at the hardware store secured with cement and fence post foam. Then I will just top it off with shredded paper or small animal paper bedding material. I kind of like the bedding material idea. Hope he likes it. He's being a snit today, won't leave the cage top! Really?!:sour::lol:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Very nice!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has he been on it? I am wondering if his feet can hang on to the bars. Maybe he would not be on the bars much. There’s a good amount of toys on it.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
How fun!:birdance: Let us know how he likes it!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks like fun. What is the stand part made out of?

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Has he been on it? I am wondering if his feet can hang on to the bars. Maybe he would not be on the bars much. There’s a good amount of toys on it.
The bars are the same size as the bars on his cage top, so he could get up there if he chooses. I am hoping he stays with the toys, there's quite a bit to keep him busy, and the balls can be used for foraging too! All the toys are recycled baby items! The balls with all the holes are great, and they come in different sizes and colors. He hasn't been on it yet, it's not anchored to the base, and I don't want him on it until it's finished. He's been watching me fool with it, and move things on it. I can tell he's interested in it.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
That looks like fun. What is the stand part made out of?
It's cast aluminum, it's a shepherds hook bought from the Christmas tree shop. I don't think it's wrought iron, it's not heavy enough. The plan was to buy one just for the boing. Only the boing. Then I saw the double ones! And thought of toys! Well...I just kept going. And I can change it too.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
This is the base. A contractor at the hardware store gave me the idea. I got a barrel planter, I found a basket at the thrift store. I cemented the basket into the planter. After it cures, I bought a package of fence post foam. I will use that inside the basket to hold the shepherds hook. If I need more foam or cement I will add it. The guy at the hardware store said the foam will support it and not make it so heavy.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How does he like his stand? Has he made any modifications? I bet he's up there all the time! (When he's not on one of you. :hehe: )

Pics please?

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
Great idea! I do worry that the metal in the stand is not bird safe but I’m sure you found out what it’s made from, hope he enjoys it

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
How does he like his stand? Has he made any modifications? I bet he's up there all the time! (When he's not on one of you. :hehe: )

Pics please?
I haven't finished it yet. He's afraid of everything, actually I am not convinced he's afraid. I bought a very small Kong tennis ball at a pet store in Lancaster pa on vacation (it was like a pet boutique) I was rolling it around on the sofa and he grabbed it and threw it! I gave him a treat for throwing it lol. I love seeing him throw things, he's a riot, and boy can he throw stuff! This is why his rocks stay on the floor. Anyway this was a ball he had never seen before. I think he's just learning how to play with things. I also have a carpeted cat tree with jute rope places to climb that he has just started using. When I say just started, he's on it about 5 mins or less at a time. It has a little nap hut on the top of it that's open on each side and is tall enough for him to stand up in. Lately his favorite thing is to get in that and throw out all the paper rolls and popsicle sticks I have in there lol. I don't care what he does as long as it's fun for him. I got this for him back in the spring. He's a work in progress, if he were a baby when I got him, it would be a quicker process since babies aren't afraid. I think new things are a combination of fear and not knowing what to do with it when the fear is gone. So I really watch him and just wait for him to approach things. Then I encourage play. I've been rolling balls on the floor for months, he's just now getting why they can be fun! When I do finish it and he sits on it, I most definitely will post pics. But he's SLOW GOING. IF I do things in his time it's better.

As of yet he's not destructive at all. I discourage him from chewing furniture by putting a piece of non-pilling fleece over it and for some reason doesn't bother with that. But my friends that had him for 7 yrs say he's not a problem bird and has a very sweet disposition. They kept him because they wanted to be sure someone they knew would give him a good home, by the way, they are not longer selling birds. They are now more in the business of rehoming birds. They sell fish and aquariums now. They are tired of their baby birds coming back as adults because they're too much work. So now people are interviewed and they are required to visit the birds they want. Since doing this birds have gone to good homes and these customers come back for supplies and they check up on how the birds are.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I usually play with Luv Bug's new perches and toys on the sofa for a few days before curiosity gets the better of her, but a cat tree would be tough to interact with. :laugh: I can't wait to see pics of both now. :)

I like your friends' new procedure! It keeps birds from being impulse buys. That is a wonderful idea. :fairy: