• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freddy Flew!

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Ok Fred has flown really short little stretches and usually doesn't know where to go so usually lands on the floor. Today I have been around the house doing chores so he has elected to come with me, earlier wanted nothing to do with me lol, I guess he woke up. When I started through the kitchen, he flew towards the window and circled back to me, when I saw this I held up my arm and he landed back on my arm! He was so happy we both cheered, he got two treats and kisses! Now back in his cage resting, so I guess I can clean the house now! Lol although would rather play with Fred!:hehe:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, that’s definitely worth celebrating! You’ll have to hurry and clean the house now, so when he’s done resting you’ll be ready to play!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:party:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
He took a two hour nap and then YIP YIP YIP! LOL was time to come back out, he sat in the kitchen, played and waited for Joe to come home :)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
As of today he started flying a lot more, and went on a flying spree all through the house lol. His issue right now is OK I'M FLYING, NOW WHERE DO I LAND? Lol its obvious he's trying to figure out where he wants to go. We just stay out of his way. If he comes towards us, we hold our arm out so he can land on us. He's a funny little acrobat, and so glad he's just started now getting playful. I also found out that my son has been letting him out to play with him since he took care of Fred while we were on vacation :) my son that was nervous with him lol. This morning my son (Sam) said Fred took off in flight around the house, he would wait for Sam to get to him, and take off AGAIN! LOL Freddy does NOT do that to me YET HAHAHAHAHA!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yay what great news. I am so happy for you both :)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Yay what great news. I am so happy for you both :)
I have been bugging my son for a long time to work with Freddy (he was the one who wanted Fred and saw him first )knowing I had always wanted a large bird, he mentioned Fred to me. He really liked him, but just nervous around him....or was.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Today Joe wasn't feeling well so Freddy has a table top perch in the living room and his cat tree & toys he likes he hung out with us, we watched movies and Fred played and "talked" to us...he was very low key and didn't bug Joe to be held like he usually does. I think he knows when someone is not themselves. He's such a good boy :)

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I think you’re right. They do know. Some like my Skyy bird do a better job of expressing it than others but all of mine have their own way of showing what I guess you’d call compassion. Glad Freddy is doing so well!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I think you’re right. They do know. Some like my Skyy bird do a better job of expressing it than others but all of mine have their own way of showing what I guess you’d call compassion. Glad Freddy is doing so well!
Oh he's a doll! Absolutely! He played and every so often would chirp at us, do peek a boo behind a post on the cat tree, and watch the movie, head bobbing at Joe. Joe told him FRED, I'M SICK, while laying on the couch. The couch is Freddy's favorite place usually but made no attempt to go there at all. I really think Freddy knew....it was so obvious. Such a little sweetheart. We love him so much.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Oh he's a doll! Absolutely! He played and every so often would chirp at us, do peek a boo behind a post on the cat tree, and watch the movie, head bobbing at Joe. Joe told him FRED, I'M SICK, while laying on the couch. The couch is Freddy's favorite place usually but made no attempt to go there at all. I really think Freddy knew....it was so obvious. Such a little sweetheart. We love him so much.
When I was sick, and one time really sick (meningitis) I did get up from bed, let Eloy out and then ended on the couch after breakfast.
For two weeks Eloy was watching over me sitting silent on the top of the couch. And normally he was both loud, playful and a big brat.
Yes they know. :)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
When I was sick, and one time really sick (meningitis) I did get up from bed, let Eloy out and then ended on the couch after breakfast.
For two weeks Eloy was watching over me sitting silent on the top of the couch. And normally he was both loud, playful and a big brat.
Yes they know. :)
He's usually got to be doing something to keep us all on our toes. Tonight we were ALL sitting in the living room. Quietly. He hasn't done that since early spring or early on when we first got him. Was nice to see him play quietly and content. So cute.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
An update on flying
Fred back in his cage :( he did some flying in the kitchen. Of course I have to NOT COOK when he's there because you don't know where he will land. He flew to Sam (my son), then he flew to me lol. So proud of himself lol! He has this proud victory chirp when he flies, for whatever reason he's most likely to take off in the kitchen, seems to be more comfortable there.
He also climbed down the kitchen chair all the way to get to the floor! He was so cute seeing his little birdie mind try to figure it out. Then I walked towards the bathroom and he ran after me lol. He's getting to be a riot. He'll be really funny in another year or so. I can't wait lol....@JLcribber yes I know don't say it, someday I will want my quiet Fred back but honestly I am enjoying the little personality he has.:xflove:
My son cannot believe the way he cuddles and how loveable he is...he seems to think he's just like our Rascal lovebird in a much larger body. That's a good thing. Rascal was wonderful!

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Fred sounds SO so cute! Sounds like he has the entire family wrapped around his little claw! :heart:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
He really does! He walks around like he owns the place! :laugh:
Ha he does own the place now.
Our Tinker was flying when we brought him home a few weeks ago. He has just found out there are many interesting things to get into if he walks around on the floors now.

Now we have to make the floors parrot safe. LOL.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
He will only go into the kitchen and living room right now. He walked off towards the front foyer & dining room, stopping at the doorway and looking back at me. I walked towards him and he kept walking in the other rooms. He didn't want to be alone in strange areas. He's so cute! Sometimes he just wants to walk around and look around. Such a little baby :heart: This is also the first real home he's ever had. He developed a mistrust for people being traumatized as a baby so he grew up in my friends pet store. He was 7 when we got him. It's so heartbreaking when I think of that. He's such a wonderful gentle little soul. So I know he's probably spoiled but I don't care. He's got a good life now and he deserves that. He's got a routine that works for us, he's out of his cage when we're home, he's got his favorite toys in his cage when we're not. I built a small fieldstone wall around the front of his toy basket so he can get things out of it and also give him something different to climb on.

Last edited: