• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freddie started pulling feathers

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I’m sorry he is ill:sadhug2: I hope he pulls through, good thoughts to you and Freddie!:sadhug2:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Did your vet do a blood test to confirm Polyoma diagnosis?
I am sorry but I do not have personal experience with it to advise you.
@Laurie @Irishj9
Can you offer some info to help Freddie?

Last edited:

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Did your vet do a blood test to confirm Polyoma diagnosis?
I am sorry but I do not have personal experience with it to advise you.
@Laurie @Irishj9
Can you offer some info to help Freddie?
Yes :(
I am still hoping there is a false positive in this test :(

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I hope so too.
Did you get Freddie from a breeder?

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
It is possible that he is a carrier, and that the disease will not progress. Low stress and good nutrition is key. You should have your other birds (and your parent's birds) vaccinated immediately. Disinfect everything you can with a bleach solution or F10 veterinary disinfectant. Polyomavirus in an adult bird is not necessarily fatal, and parrots have been shown to produce antibodies to the infection.
You should let the breeder that produced him know that he has been diagnosed with polyomavirus, so that they can take measures just in case he got it as a baby.
Don't panic. Take a few deep breaths and know that you have a lot of support and a lot of people pulling for him here!

Sj25

Strolling the yard
I hope so too.
Did you get Freddie from a breeder?
I am really not sure what a breeder is. I got Freddie from a lovely couple with a bunch of pretty expensive parrots. The whole living room was decorated so that the birds had a great time flying around.
I felt pretty trusting buying from there. Tried contacting her already to warn them but I am not sure the emailadress still exists.

I did also get some more opinions from avian vets in The Netherlands and two of them already said it is not as bad as birds getting polyoma at age 1-60 days. SO thats good.
Havent heard from the rest yet.

Sj25

Strolling the yard
It is possible that he is a carrier, and that the disease will not progress. Low stress and good nutrition is key. You should have your other birds (and your parent's birds) vaccinated immediately. Disinfect everything you can with a bleach solution or F10 veterinary disinfectant. Polyomavirus in an adult bird is not necessarily fatal, and parrots have been shown to produce antibodies to the infection.
You should let the breeder that produced him know that he has been diagnosed with polyomavirus, so that they can take measures just in case he got it as a baby.
Don't panic. Take a few deep breaths and know that you have a lot of support and a lot of people pulling for him here!
Thank you. Will do a huge clean out of the cage tomorrow. Atleast then I will be sure Fred wont get infected by his own poop or fruit from a day ago.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I did also get some more opinions from avian vets in The Netherlands and two of them already said it is not as bad as birds getting polyoma at age 1-60 days. SO thats good.
Havent heard from the rest yet.
I didn’t know you were from the Netherlands, which Avian vets have given their opninion yet? I haven’t had a lot of different vets, but Hedwig van der Horst went above and beyond to save my lovebird, she is very kind and I think she Will have not problem giving her opinion too:) Sending lots of good thoughts to you and Freddie!

Sj25

Strolling the yard
I didn’t know you were from the Netherlands, which Avian vets have given their opninion yet? I haven’t had a lot of different vets, but Hedwig van der Horst went above and beyond to save my lovebird, she is very kind and I think she Will have not problem giving her opinion too:) Sending lots of good thoughts to you and Freddie!
Remco Gouw, Gerd Theel, (Mevr. Kindermans en Bastiaansen oid zijn afwezig) en mijn eigen vogelarts in Apeldoorn.
Waar zit Hedwig?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Remco Gouw, Gerd Theel, (Mevr. Kindermans en Bastiaansen oid zijn afwezig) en mijn eigen vogelarts in Apeldoorn.
Waar zit Hedwig?
Ah nee dat is te ver weg, helemaal in brabant(Riel). Maar die andere zijn ook hele goede van wat ik gehoord heb!:yes3:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
je weet dat we Engels spreken op dit bord?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Uh oh the board has been taken over! :lol: Quick, we all have to learn a new language!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
je weet dat we Engels spreken op dit bord?
ja, maar het is leuk om in een andere taal te praten, ook spijtig als mijn grammatica of spelling slecht is Ik gebruik google translate
Sorry Guys!:hug8:
I Said The Avian vet Hedwig van der Horst is probably to far away for her(at least relatively!) as there are other vets closer. Hedwig saved Henkie when he fell ill, she couldn’t reall figure out what was wrong with him. She had never had a case like him, but she did save him and suspected it was something with his brain and/or veins(don’t know the names right now:), that was a bit Scary tough because Maybe it Will come back, he got ill when he was only 2,5 years old. So I try to get him to eat lots of veggies and pellets and as little seed as I can:)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Uh oh the board has been taken over! :lol: Quick, we all have to learn a new language!
:hehe: I am Terrible teacher I’m afraid:rofl: I am not bad at grammatics but I can’t Explain it:rofl:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hi, Freddie!

Sj25

Strolling the yard
:hehe: I am Terrible teacher I’m afraid:rofl: I am not bad at grammatics but I can’t Explain it:rofl:
I dont know how to send a DM here, but i emailed Hedwig just now.
The more opinions the better

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I dont know how to send a DM here, but i emailed Hedwig just now.
The more opinions the better
That is great! I am pretty sure she Will be willing to help!
Is Freddie doing any better?