1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freddie started pulling feathers

Discussion in 'Caique Cul De Sac' started by Sj25, 2/8/18.

1. Sj25

Sj25 Meeting neighbors

I am so sad. All was going well until i got home today and i saw Freddie missing a ton of feathers on his/her chest.
    I feel really bad about it. Like a terrible Birdie Boss... I wonder if Freddie feels neglected/bored or something :(

I went to sit and play but even then there is feather pulling. He does not seen itchy. And the pulling (or breaking?) doest not seem to hurt.
    I washed his chest with water today but did not help. So going to the vet tomorrow.

Has anyone had this before? I didnt change anything in my routine. Still loving the grapes and not so very much loving Harrisons but eating his bowl.

2. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
  3. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    Sorry to hear that. A vet check is the best place to start.

faislaq likes this.
  4. Sj25

Sj25 Meeting neighbors

Vet thought it was stress...
    I am not sure if the stress from 3 weeks ago (when he was at my parents) could led to feather breaking now.
    Vet gave Freddie some medicine against itching :(

faislaq likes this.
  5. Sj25

Sj25 Meeting neighbors

Also the vet said its not pulling but breaking

Carol Mcculley likes this.
  6. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    Has he done this before? Does he have preening toys? I'm glad health-wise, he is okay.

7. Sj25

Sj25 Meeting neighbors

No never. No obsessive preening either. Not sure what preening toys are.

I am so scared to leave the house now. I feel like i need to watch freddie all day to stop the pulling/breaking

8. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John

That is very possible. How much time does Freddie spend alone/locked up? What kind of flight environment does he have?

Eloy likes this.
  9. MNR

MNR Strolling the yard

10. orphansparrow

orphansparrow Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Cara
    @Sj25

I would look up "preening toys" and "shredding toys" on amazon or an online parrot store, and order a wide variety. They are toys that are often made up of palm leaves or raffia, etc.

Duckie loves the rafia and palm leaf ones, like this:
    Amazon.com : Bonka Bird Toys 2006 Raffia Bush Bird Toy parrot cage toys cages shred cockatiel african grey : Pet Supplies

Or like this:
    Amazon.com : Bonka Bird Toys Mini Taco 1359 Foraging Bird Toy Parrot Cages Cockatiel Parakeet Conure Lovebird Toys : Pet Supplies

the meantime, give him new things to pick at, and to tear up. You can use coffee filters, or muffin papers, toilet paper rolls, etc. Stick them through his bars, or stuff treats in them for him to get.

I would also look up foraging, and make him forage for his food, instead of putting it in a bowl. This will take up a lot of his time, and he'll have less inclination to pluck - hopefully.

One easy way I do it, is I line Duckie's cage with newspaper, sprinkle it with her pellets and some treats like nuts, and then cover it with shredded paper. You could shred newspaper, computer paper, tissue...it doesn't matter. The thing is, it will take a lot longer for him to find his food then if it's just in a bowl. That is beginner foraging and I highly recommend it.

TikiMyn likes this.
  11. Sj25

Sj25 Meeting neighbors

I looked them up and he does have toys like that :) Doesnt really seem that interested though
    Gave him some things to tear up but it is only helping a little. Ive seen him trying to get feathers from his back now too :(

12. Sj25

Sj25 Meeting neighbors

A little over 1 year... So no puberty yet

13. Sj25

Sj25 Meeting neighbors

You think he could be stressed 3 weeks later? my parents let Freddie out if the cage everyday and my dad loves playing with him... Only differerence was that there were 2 cockatiels extra. Now he has one cockatiel friend at my place.
    I would feel much better if it was stress... I worry it is something else

14. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John

You didn’t answer either question.

finchly likes this.
  15. Sj25

Sj25 Meeting neighbors

Its Polyoma :(

16. JLcribber

John
    I'm sorry to hear that.

17. Sj25

Sj25 Meeting neighbors

Does anyone know if that is fatal? Vet said it is but i read so many other things online about birds that are older than 60 days

18. WendyN

WendyN Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Wendy
    How old is Freddie?

19. Sj25

Sj25 Meeting neighbors

About 1 year and 3/4 months

20. Sj25

Sj25 Meeting neighbors

I dont understand:grumpy: The feathers arent falling out, Freddie breaks them off. I think he stopped doing that cause I dont see anymore feather loss. He doesnt have any of the stupid symtoms, happily eating pellets now.
    I really thought it was going much better with some new fluff feathers:grumpy::grumpy: SO unexpected

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)