• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Freddie started pulling feathers

Sj25

Strolling the yard
I am so sad. All was going well until i got home today and i saw Freddie missing a ton of feathers on his/her chest.
I feel really bad about it. Like a terrible Birdie Boss... I wonder if Freddie feels neglected/bored or something :(

I went to sit and play but even then there is feather pulling. He does not seen itchy. And the pulling (or breaking?) doest not seem to hurt.
I washed his chest with water today but did not help. So going to the vet tomorrow.

Has anyone had this before? I didnt change anything in my routine. Still loving the grapes and not so very much loving Harrisons but eating his bowl.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry to hear that. A vet check is the best place to start.

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Vet thought it was stress...
I am not sure if the stress from 3 weeks ago (when he was at my parents) could led to feather breaking now.
Vet gave Freddie some medicine against itching :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Has he done this before? Does he have preening toys? I'm glad health-wise, he is okay.

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Has he done this before? Does he have preening toys? I'm glad health-wise, he is okay.
No never. No obsessive preening either. Not sure what preening toys are.

I am so scared to leave the house now. I feel like i need to watch freddie all day to stop the pulling/breaking

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am not sure if the stress from 3 weeks ago (when he was at my parents) could led to feather breaking now.

That is very possible. How much time does Freddie spend alone/locked up? What kind of flight environment does he have?

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
@Sj25

I would look up "preening toys" and "shredding toys" on amazon or an online parrot store, and order a wide variety. They are toys that are often made up of palm leaves or raffia, etc.

Duckie loves the rafia and palm leaf ones, like this:
Amazon.com : Bonka Bird Toys 2006 Raffia Bush Bird Toy parrot cage toys cages shred cockatiel african grey : Pet Supplies

Or like this:
Amazon.com : Bonka Bird Toys Mini Taco 1359 Foraging Bird Toy Parrot Cages Cockatiel Parakeet Conure Lovebird Toys : Pet Supplies

the meantime, give him new things to pick at, and to tear up. You can use coffee filters, or muffin papers, toilet paper rolls, etc. Stick them through his bars, or stuff treats in them for him to get.

I would also look up foraging, and make him forage for his food, instead of putting it in a bowl. This will take up a lot of his time, and he'll have less inclination to pluck - hopefully.

One easy way I do it, is I line Duckie's cage with newspaper, sprinkle it with her pellets and some treats like nuts, and then cover it with shredded paper. You could shred newspaper, computer paper, tissue...it doesn't matter. The thing is, it will take a lot longer for him to find his food then if it's just in a bowl. That is beginner foraging and I highly recommend it.

Sj25

Strolling the yard
@Sj25

I would look up "preening toys" and "shredding toys" on amazon or an online parrot store, and order a wide variety. They are toys that are often made up of palm leaves or raffia, etc.

Duckie loves the rafia and palm leaf ones, like this:
Amazon.com : Bonka Bird Toys 2006 Raffia Bush Bird Toy parrot cage toys cages shred cockatiel african grey : Pet Supplies

Or like this:
Amazon.com : Bonka Bird Toys Mini Taco 1359 Foraging Bird Toy Parrot Cages Cockatiel Parakeet Conure Lovebird Toys : Pet Supplies

the meantime, give him new things to pick at, and to tear up. You can use coffee filters, or muffin papers, toilet paper rolls, etc. Stick them through his bars, or stuff treats in them for him to get.

I would also look up foraging, and make him forage for his food, instead of putting it in a bowl. This will take up a lot of his time, and he'll have less inclination to pluck - hopefully.

One easy way I do it, is I line Duckie's cage with newspaper, sprinkle it with her pellets and some treats like nuts, and then cover it with shredded paper. You could shred newspaper, computer paper, tissue...it doesn't matter. The thing is, it will take a lot longer for him to find his food then if it's just in a bowl. That is beginner foraging and I highly recommend it.

I looked them up and he does have toys like that :) Doesnt really seem that interested though
Gave him some things to tear up but it is only helping a little. Ive seen him trying to get feathers from his back now too :(

Sj25

Strolling the yard
That is very possible. How much time does Freddie spend alone/locked up? What kind of flight environment does he have?
You think he could be stressed 3 weeks later? my parents let Freddie out if the cage everyday and my dad loves playing with him... Only differerence was that there were 2 cockatiels extra. Now he has one cockatiel friend at my place.
I would feel much better if it was stress... I worry it is something else

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You think he could be stressed 3 weeks later? my parents let Freddie out if the cage everyday and my dad loves playing with him... Only differerence was that there were 2 cockatiels extra. Now he has one cockatiel friend at my place.
I would feel much better if it was stress... I worry it is something else

You didn’t answer either question.

How much time does Freddie spend alone/locked up? What kind of flight environment does he have?

Sj25

Strolling the yard
Does anyone know if that is fatal? Vet said it is but i read so many other things online about birds that are older than 60 days

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
How old is Freddie?

Sj25

Strolling the yard
I dont understand:grumpy: The feathers arent falling out, Freddie breaks them off. I think he stopped doing that cause I dont see anymore feather loss. He doesnt have any of the stupid symtoms, happily eating pellets now.
I really thought it was going much better with some new fluff feathers:grumpy::grumpy: SO unexpected