• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

fred, a burmese python

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
meet fred
(fred is the snake, thats his dad. his dad practices excellent safety measures when fred is out, and his cage is very stong)

fred is over 18 feet long, and enjoys time with people. hes very good tempered, but still intimadating...hes just huge

there are more pics, very nice ones, but i didnt want to offend anyone by posting them. he does indeed take live prey.

it takes 2 people to put him away. check out the spurs!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwvery impressive very beautiful

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is huge!

Matt

Vicky Chai Tea

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vicky
Why does he eat live prey? Have they tried converting him? With a lot of effort, it's possible to convert almost any snake.

Though I have to say I'm glad to see a captive burm that isn't severely overweight! So many people overfeed them and don't let them out of their enclosures, it's sad. I would looooooove to own one, but I doubt I'll ever have the room to house one in something I would consider big enough.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Wow- good to see one of these guys taken care of properly! Not a species for any but the most dedicated!

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
fred just likes it live. hes just not interested at all in prekilled or frozen. i was able to put my boa on chicken and turkey, and frozen feeders. but fred just wont do it. freds owner has tried a few different methods, but he doesnt want it that way. he comes out often for exercise. that can be weird, as freds head and upper self is in one room, his other end in another room.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:faint: I would faint if that big of a snake was on or near me!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Incredible!

kastelling

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
He's beautiful!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
He is a big big snake! Im sure he is crazy heavy! Our 8ft RTB is 65 pounds, she loses several during the winter months, but typically gains it back and some more during the warmer months, even when we keep her enclosure warm (hot/cold side appropriate temps, humdidity, etc).

How old is that burmese? And is it probed or popped a male or female? Im sure at that size you have to probe. It was very hard to pop out RTB when she was at 5ft long.

He is a big snake, but takes a lot of risks. After 6ft of length, he needs one person for every 6 feet, with him at all times. So 18ft snake needs two additional people holding/handling the snake. Burmese are the #1 snakes to kill people due to these accidents. They "seem" to be doing fine, but then one day their hunger drive gets them, and they strike. Its not the snakes fault, but the handler's for taking unnecessary risks. And FYI this is why some people overfeed their burms, its better to have a well fed full burm then one that is hungry, jme. But then there are people who are just sick and get all excited about feeding live food, and they do it too often. Just thought I'd add this in incase you and the snake's owner didnt know this. :):hug8:

Last edited:

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
im not sure how old fred is, ill have to ask. im pretty sure fred has never been sexed, as he is a pet, not a breeder. i think my friend just liked to call it a him, and fred stuck.

fred for sure is a dangerous pet. he easily could kill me or anyone else. he has had fred for many years with no accidents at all. its pretty easy to tell when he is hungry, as he will roam about non stop, searching. during this time, my friend does not take him out at all, but for a feed. he has always fed him on the kitchen floor, as its easier to clean the resulting mess, and fred needs alot of room to feed. my friend has never fed him in the cage, as he wants no reason for fred to think dinner is coming when he opens the door. freds body lango is also easy to read, and he never pushed if "he dont wanna". my friend is actually very respectful to freds food, and doesnt get a huge pleasure from watching him kill, though ive known people who do. freds food is treated with kindness, and pets, and tasty treats. if fred is full and doesnt want all the food available at that moment, those "foods" are kept super comfy, spoiled really until they are needed. my friend wouldnt mind not doing live food, but fred really insists on it. and my friend has commited to care for fred to the end.

CosmoKramer

Real Name
Zach
:faint::faint::faint: That thing is huge!

When I was about 10 we knew someone who had a snake, not sure what kind, that was probably 7 or 8 ft. He had it outside in the grass when it decided to TAKE OFF in our neighborhood! It was on the news and everything and I was soo terrified to let my boston terrier outside!

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Wow he is beautiful!!! He is a Huge male!! My boyfriend has a year old 6 foot Albino Red Tail Boa :) He is georgous!!!

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Fred is gorgeous! I would love to one day venture into owning a large snake but it just isn't practical for me now.

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
:omg: WOW! I think snakes are just too cool......I wouldn't have the guts to keep one that size, but he is beautiful to see!!

Status
Not open for further replies.