• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Frankie gave me a scare

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
This afternoon hubby was putting a tie down strap on top of their cage and got worried Frankie might get him so I got Frankie to go in the cage but Bebe wasn't going in so I got her on me and as I was putting her in, Frankie tried to sneak out,so I was shutting the door to keep him in as Bebe was stepping off me. Frankie let out a scream and omg his foot was right in where the door shuts. I have checked his foot and one of his claws seems to have got the worst. He snuggled with me for about 15 minutes, then he signaled he wanted on his stand. We watched him and he kept curling his toes up. I started getting upset and he wouldn't let me touch it, which made me feel even worse. He kept clenching it and unclenching it, then he wanted to go back on top of his cage. I lifted him up and you could see he was favouring it. About 30 minutes passed and he was laughing and playing in his tunnel again. I have been in a few times tonight to check on him and he is his usual happy sleepy bird. I am still concerned and if he is still favouring it tomorrow I think a vet check is in order. Hubby was teasing me after and I broke down in tears. He knows nobody is more important to me than Frankie and I would never hurt him intentionally. He keeps trying to keep me calm but what can I do until I can get him seen if he isn't better tomorrow? Frankie will not let me touch it even with a soft cloth.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't think you should worry. My experience is that they are very sensitive in their foot. Eliy is often holding up her foot after a claw file, and I had just been holding it.
For some reason that kind of injury they never hide as they do when they are sick. I don't know if they feel that we feel guilty, but as the same thing has happen to me I could have sworn on that Eloy was holing his foot up as soon as he saw me. And every time I felt guilty I gave him a nut.
Hubby was teasing me after and I broke down in tears.
Remember this and use it in the best way. :D
Perhaps you got headache for the rest of the month. :p
Or manage to wash his white cloth with a new red shirt.. :D

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Frankie hasn't been hurt before and I know he got caught because there's a wee mark and a spot of blood. He licked the blood but wouldn't let me touch it with a cloth.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Another site said to put polysporin on it. Is that good for this, providing he lets me put it on with a q tip

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Frankie hasn't been hurt before and I know he got caught because there's a wee mark and a spot of blood. He licked the blood but wouldn't let me touch it with a cloth.
Sorry! I didn't know about the blood. And I was only trying to cheer you up.
Another site said to put polysporin on it. Is that good for this, providing he lets me put it on with a q tip
Never put anything in a fresh wound. The best way to prevent infection is to keep it clean.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Thank you Sarah. He is still snuggled up with Bebe sleeping, so crossing my fingers it's not too bad.
You go get your baby feeling better. My thoughts and prayers are with you today!
:hug8:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Well FRankie is favouring his foot and keeps holding it up to me as if to say "you did this mom".
He is playing with Bebe and playing in his tunnel, so I hope that's a good sign.
There is no bleeding but he still won't let me touch it. Instead of pulling it back like he did yesterday, he gave me a warning. Touch it and I will bite you.
Frankie has never been aggressive towards me so now I am even more worried.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Frankie's toe is still swollen and it's day 3 now.

Thank you for your help with this @Macawnutz
I am going to search the internet some more because I'm sure this has happened to other people and I'm getting really stressed out.
Nobody on here seems to have gone through this or just not offering any advice.
Take care :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If it's day three you want to see your vet and get some pain medications. They may want to xray.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Oops I meant 2nd day. It happened Sunday late afternoon.
He is using it for eating and is walking and climbing okay.
He isn't making a fuss like he did when it happened of course, but is still wary of I attempt to touch it.
I did read an article regarding same scenario and a vet replied he should be back to normal soon, but just to monitor them for a day or two.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He is using it for eating and is walking and climbing okay.
He isn't making a fuss like he did when it happened of course, but is still wary of I attempt to touch it.
If he is using it, it doesn't seems infected and doesn't smell bad, I would just wait some more days.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Well I am happy to say Frankie is doing alot better this morning.
I forgot that when we were playing yesterday I left one of the side doors open when I covered them last night.
I went for my weekly pulmonary exercise classes at the gym this morning after uncovering them, and to my surprise they were both out playing when I got home lol
Frankies little puncture is gone and he is bombing around everywhere without a care in the world.Him and Bebe are squabbling and playing and chasing other through his tunnel.
Life is good :)