• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Fractured Spine

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
This is the most amazing survival story I've ever heard. You are the most caring and devoted owner I have ever seen, and I hope with all of my heart that Ri will improve. He is doing AMAZING for a bird with a broken back! Best of luck to you and Ri!:sennie: :hug8::sennie:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Prayers for you and little birdie. In humans the docs would give steroids to decrease the inflammation. Was there any mention of this?

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Update please :hug9:

Rain

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone - he's doing really well. Lady Jane - no steroids weren't mentioned.

He is back to having a huge attitude and being a clown. He tells me off if I won't let him do something he wants to do. He struts around with his alpha male ego and is incensed if I don't share my toast with him in the mornings. He has such a sense of entitlement.

I have to still stop him from hanging upside down too much but he's very stubborn.

I've had a few bites from him, when he's throwing a tantrum because he can't get his own way. And he's back to being loud.

The only thing you'd notice from him having an injury, is that he still gets a little bit out of breath more and looks a little uncomfortable if he fills his crop too much. I think this is because all his insides moved over slightly, as his back is permanently bent now. He certainly doesn't let it stop him and he's enjoying every minute of his life and being a brat.

I realise how very lucky I've been with him and we have lots of cuddles. I appreciate him still being here so much.

I also appreciate everyone who supported us with knowledge, prayers and good wishes. Thank you. :heart:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It is so wonderful Ri recovered so well. I'm happy for both of you. You both along with your vet put in a wonderful effort to save him.

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
This is wonderful news :)

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
Best of luck to you two! I hope your past the hardest part and that it will just be rehabilitation from now on!:hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great to read that he is continuing to do well!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Love that he's a feisty little bugger,,,:hug8:

Rain

Strolling the yard
Haha - me too (most of the time). :heart:

Rain

Strolling the yard
He's a terror - all hormonal, bossy, egotistical, loud and bitey.
You wouldn't know anything had happened, by looking at him. He's so hyperactive and demanding, at the moment and really into his dancing.
I, on the other hand, have a constant headache. ;)
Thank you for asking after him.

Last edited: