• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Fractured Spine

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Get a baby cam monitor. Mount the cam across from his sleeping perch and the reciever by your bed. I am not sure, but I think they work on very little light and wi fi, so you can still cover his cage at night and you can check on him without disturbing his sleep or getting out of bed.
Check the prices though . . . . the baby cam is generally more expensive. I like mine because I can move it remotely. My cages are big. If I'm not at home and the parrot isn't on the perch, I can move the camera to find the bird. I can also swivel the camera to look at the other cage to check on that bird.

The only wire on my camera is the plug in to the camera. It does operate off of wireless internet though so it would have to be set up.

Rain

Strolling the yard
Just wondering if wireless, being that close to him (in his cage) would affect him in some way. I'm quite sensitive myself to electrical output and especially wireless - I'll have to look into it. I'll find a solution.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I bought a 4 camera security system from New Egg for 80 bucks minus the hard drive. I build computers for myself and the family so had a extra drive around anyways.
First couple of days I pointed one at lurches cage so I could record and watch His day later and test that the thing worked. The quality is good not excellent and the infra red night vision recording works well too. You can buy much better quality cameras later and a cheap setup with better cameras might be a good option for you too.
I can also watch the live feed on my TV, or go into the computer and playback any captures from any time, very handy and if something happens I can check it out and have a copy on the hard drive.
I have two cameras setup outside in areas where folks would try to take things or come up the driveway and the front door.
I'll add the other two in the backyard behind the fence to cover my shed and extra cars but I could easily set one up on Lurch again, and you can even add a microphone and get sound.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can get sound (hear) and also talk through mine.

Rain

Strolling the yard
Hi and thank you. :) I was going to update but didn't want to keep bumping my own thread up.

He is driving me crazy - so all is well. Though I'm still trying to not let him do too much but I think he's enjoying my reaction, as has been tormenting me with his acrobatics. The only problem he has had is the other day - he did a perfect head over heels (I didn't get to him in time to stop him) and then yelled and ran up under my chin, like he does if he's scared or hurt. I think he must have had a twinge in his back. I keep trying to tell him to let it heal, or we'll be back at square one but he's a little horror. I debated whether to start his pain meds again but decided not to, in case they make him think he can do even more than he's meant to. He was fine after a cuddle.

So, he's still off all meds and I'm nebulising him every other day - just to be on the safe side. His breathing is still a little laboured at times - but I think this will always be this way now, being as his insides are pushed over a little. Same goes for his crooked back. He's eating well and is determined to be more independent and only having cuddles on his terms. I've had a couple of bites when he decides he doesn't want to do something - and he's being very cheeky with me and blowing raspberries on my face and laughing. He's tormenting the dog again. And he's back to dancing as much as he can. He's a little grumpy at the moment, as is going through a moult - but he allows me to get those pin feathers. He lowers his head and tells me to "come on". I do have my uses. ;)

I'm still watching him closely and am still ultra paranoid - but am so grateful he is still here with me and thankful for everyone who supported me. :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad to read that Rain continues to do well! :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yay!!!!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :heart: :hug8:

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Check the prices though . . . . the baby cam is generally more expensive. I like mine because I can move it remotely. My cages are big. If I'm not at home and the parrot isn't on the perch, I can move the camera to find the bird. I can also swivel the camera to look at the other cage to check on that bird.

The only wire on my camera is the plug in to the camera. It does operate off of wireless internet though so it would have to be set up.
If you have a computer with a camera that lives at home you might want to look into iVideon ( Cloud Video Surveillance ). It can be set up rather quickly and then the live stream from your account can be accessed privately from almost any mobile platform (phone, ipad, laptop, etc.). Also, if you already have the camera it's free!

Rain

Strolling the yard
Thank you, I'll have a look into it.

CrystalLeo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christi
Awwww I'm so glad that he is doing better! They really do catch us off guard sometime! ;)
And it sure can be frustrating to say the least. But if he's sounding that energetic and back to his old self for the most part, then I'd say he's doing very well. Keep up the Good work! Hope he heals fully soon! :hug8: