• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found Penny's History

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
She may have been orig sold by Frans Exotics in late 1997 hatched possible
mid MArch 1997. She's a pieces or aries...LOL

I also found the person whom I think has one of her siblings maybe even same clutch as they are same age & have same dark grey bands which I have not gotten close enough to read yet.

Penny's sibling also hates cells phones!!!!

Fran has a call into original owner to give her my # so I can get some vet info & care details.

She was rehomed at Frans Exotics in Novemeber 2015.

Waiting for the call patiently!!! Wow...good piece of detective work!!!

She likely turned 21 about a month before I got her

Missed her birthday!!!! Still its close to the time I got her so could just say April 29th...

:fairy2:

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's good detective work. How did you get that info, if I may ask. I thought the last person Penny lived with got her from Magnolia.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Contacted Magnolia with name of Fran & Frank suggested Frans Exotics so checked her facebook & back in 2015 I found Pennys photo with Wendy asking for her!!!

Wrote on her facebook & Fran told me to call & I gave her my name # & she called Nancy the original owner whom called me & I spoke to for over an hour tonight!!!

She is happy I have Penny as I meet with her approval & relief as she was saddened to hear Penny had a new home.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So Penny came from Fran's and not Magnolia??

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So Penny came from Fran's and not Magnolia??
Yes & she was bought in 1997 from Frans!!!! So its Frans bird & I found Pennys brother!!!!
His name is Hawkeye!!! Penny picked Nancy & Hawkeye picked this man...

Hawkeye Penny.jpg

Woman who has Hawkeye on left has hatch date info...Nancy had hers in storage.
So it seems dob was around mid march 1997.

They both hate cell phones & I can see similar beak marking & feet!

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I might have to go check out Fran's store. It looks like a very nice bird store.
Hawkeye....great name.
That's exciting that you now have a lot more info about Penny.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well seems like Frans been there least 21 years!!!

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Shame you couldn't take the metro-link there or most of the way.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
There is the 501 from N hllywd to Pasadena then would have to transfer but not sure how after that one. The 501 is a express so I could get to Pasadena quickly but then not sure how the transfers will go as its still quite far from Pasadena...Gold line will only get meto Azuza then I would need to get another bus to Claremont. Still 4 buses as I need to take a bus to get tot the 501...LOL

I really don;tknow how much I will have to walk between buses & the areas. I will be carrying Penny so I don't want to put us in danger.

It really is far! The one I will go to is already maybe 1 1/2 hours by 2 buses.

Last edited:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats @camelotshadow on finding Penny's origins! I have always wondered about my birds' histories but will never know given the circumstances... So glad you did!

PS As someone who grew up in Southern California, I am really enjoying all the freeway directions being discussed in this thread :)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I don;t drive so thats metro bus /train info. We've come a long way with public transport but LA is very big & I rarely venture east of Burbank...LOL

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I don;t drive so thats metro bus /train info. We've come a long way with public transport but LA is very big & I rarely venture east of Burbank...LOL
It was only the metro bus system when I was growing up -- the train hadnt been invented yet :hilarious: Although my family lived all over, for a good period in high school, I spent every Saturday in Claremont for SAT prep classes. If you were coming from north of LA, it was a long trip even by car!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yeah....think it was still horse & buggy!:rofl:

When I first came here 20 years ago I was warned only homeless people ride the bus!!!

It is getting bad at times esp when there are school kids. Loud radio/cursing...Sometimes I kick myself for riding the bus but most of the time its ok.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:lol:

A few years ago, I was home for the holidays and doing some shopping at the local mall. Because I didnt want to move my car due to how hard it was to find a parking space, I decided to literally walk across the street to go to the bank for some cash. The way ppl looked at me as I crossed the intersection, you would have thought I was trying to squeegee their car windshields for money! Its ridiculous how in love we are with our car culture and how ppl view public transportation! Glad sentiments are changing. I lived in Manhattan for 15 years and loved the subway system, warts and all :heart:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:toofunny:Sad but true...cars are vanity balls & chains...I hate parking lots & when I would drive I would park around the corner & walk as I don't like to deal with them & dings even if I had a 30 plus year old Benz...its a classic!

Walking is good for you unless you get hit by a car as that is a problem as drivers only look for cars not pedestrians trying to cross a corner. You have to make eye contact as they just turn in front of you as there are no cars to the left.

I was a victim of a hit & run so now I get whip lash every time I cross a corner as I have to look at least 3 times to make sure no car is near or at least sees me.

Lived in Greenwich Village about 15 years too. Took a train to work as I did when I lived in Queens with my parents & at rush hour its not fun! I am short & its hard to find breathing space when you are packed like sardines!!!

Last 5 years or so worked near NYU so I walked to work...Really had it good!!!!

Still I love CA.