• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found Parrot

ham

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
ham
This Parrot landed on my neighbors shoulder this morning. He gave it to me because I have chickens and ducks. Put parrot in a cage by itself for quarantine reasons. Bird does not bite and seems to be tame. It is eating and drinking. When I sit next to cage the bird will bob its head and flap its wings. Eyes are clear and bright. I just joined this forum to find out more about it (not sure if it is a male or female). Thanks. Not sure if this is the correct forum or not but please let me know.

Attachments

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Welcome!
Thank you for helping this little one.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Where are you? If you are in New England, I know some great parrot rescues that may have some networking tools to try and find the owner.

I would also be happy to help out if you were in Maine, Massachusetts, or New Hampshire :)

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
So adorable! Good luck finding his/her family! I found my Quaker on the street last summer, but no one ever came forward to claim her and our vet told me that the number on her band was never registered. And Im so glad we took her in, because she is the best :qpb: - so much personality!

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Not an expert on Quakers but if it is a baby and head bobbing it may want/need hand feeding. Do you have a local avian or exotic vet you can contact or a breeder or rescue to find out if you should be doing some formula feeds. (Sorry - I know this issue literally dropped out of the sky and onto you but you are great for taking him/her in - even if it is temporarily) Perhaps some Quaker owners on here could help with some short term feeding and care advise until you figure things out?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking this little guy into your home. I hope he will be OK.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The poster @ham is new.... can someone explain hand feeding and dangers to watch out for?

I can tell you that if the food is too warm it can burn a hole in a bird's crop. I spoke to someone at the parrot club that had that issue. It's extremely sad when people don't know that and try to feed a bird.

@SandraK @Macawnutz do you know who we can tag that can provide info for this poster?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The poster @ham is new.... can someone explain hand feeding and dangers to watch out for?

I can tell you that if the food is too warm it can burn a hole in a bird's crop. I spoke to someone at the parrot club that had that issue. It's extremely sad when people don't know that and try to feed a bird.

@SandraK @Macawnutz do you know who we can tag that can provide info for this poster?
Not really, for having my four Quakers two came as adults and the other two were completely weaned as was my avatar Kiwi (RIP). The behaviour does sound odd but possibly it was something this little one picked up while being fed/weaned? I'd definitely post him on Parrot Alert/lost & found. It is free and might help you locate the owner (or vice versa).