• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Found lost bird- Toe has turned black

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Here is a video..also she is so tame....do you guys think shes an adult?
She's a beautiful budgie.. I've always loved yellow birds! Thanks for taking care of her!

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
It says that baby budgies have coal black eyes that lighten to brown or grey at 8 months of age. So you only be able to tell if she is older or younger than 8-months. Speedy recovery! :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
She has black eyes as far as I could see in the vid so she's probaby about 8 months..

IDK but there looks like a lil hope for the toe but not sure if it will get better or worse.

Kodigirl210

When they are young like that, they adapt quickly to the missing toe being gone. It just seems if they are a bit older when it happens that they have a little harder time adapting depending on the experience.

I think it’s because when they’re young they don’t know their limits or what they can or can’t do so they do what need to.

Older birds have experienced negative feedback at points from injury and would tend to be more cautious and uncertain because they can reason it might not work or that it’s going to hurt.

Sif basically has 1.5” toes on the back for 3 of them and 1-normal toe. She was 12 weeks when they were partially amputated. She was able to start learning for the first time how to perch properly and how to use her feet to eat because up to that point her toes couldn’t bend and weren’t shaped right for either activity.

Yes she still has gripping issues but for the most part you wouldn’t know she did have all of her toes.

Eventually 2 of the partials will have to be amputated completely but whereas other birds would have issues I don’t believe she will because the first amputation improved her life so dramatically, so I think she would expect it to improve again. :)

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Have you posted any 'found' signs for her? Someone out there could be looking for this precious little one.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for taking this gorgeous bird in and taking care of it.

Best of luck with a speedy recovery

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
You could maybe get a shower cap to cover your hair and then you would not have to wash is so much :)

A different pair of shoes and a large shirt you can button up. Then would only need to change your pants.

Definitely take precautions.

Your new bird is a cutie :)

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hey guys just wanted to update everyone...Today I took her back to the vet and we had to amputate the toe, shes doing great and as a matter of fact has been chirping non stop...I think she actually feels better-- or maybe its the pain meds idk lol...I've decided to name her Bella. Since no one has claimed her after all this time I went out during her surgery and bought her a new cage and toys and she seems to really be enjoying that too. I can't wait for it to heal and this all be behind us so she can live a happy healthy life now. Thank u all for your advice and help-this had been a nightmare and you all have helped so much in calming me down.

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Have you posted any 'found' signs for her? Someone out there could be looking for this precious little one.
I was hoping her owners would find her, I even left her at my moms so I wouldnt get any kind of attachment....I posted craigslist, facebook, reddit, I looked on pet sites and lost pet sites for my area for people who may have lost a keet, not a single response...I literally just got a new bird...went through the dreadful quarantine, went through the headache of seed conversion, went through the headache of making sure my 13 year old Caique would not have any jealousy towards the new bird...omg its been so much work..and finally when it was all over a few months later I have to do it all over again :( :( :( :( I feel like someone who had a baby and then accidentally got knocked up right after...I got Tiki in March and now I have Bella...Also I'm now on the road to being a old bird lady....life lol

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Great to hear the surgery went well and even better to hear you plan on giving her a name and a forever home :)

You’re a real treasure, Bella is so lucky to have crossed paths with you :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Thank u all for your advice and help-this had been a nightmare and you all have helped so much in calming me down.
Thank you for helping her! ♥
Bella will be very happy in her new home with someone that will give her all she needs.
and finally when it was all over a few months later I have to do it all over again :( :( :( :(
Don't see it that way. See it when it's over that you did save a life and now you have a adorable little budgie to add to your flock.
Think about it, and you will look like this instead: :):):):bliss::smilesign:

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
So update on sweet little Bella, we had to amputate the toe. She is doing great though and I just moved her out of quarantine. Thank you everyone, all of your advice really helped me when I was in such a panic...thank you.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you for getting her treatment! I think she belongs with you! I have a yellow parakeet similar to her. I thought it was a boy, but turns out it is an adult male. I think in that color variation, the eyes are always black and the cere of the male resembles females. I might be wrong. Hopefully @Monica can take a look at the video. Also, at some point, when she/he is recovered, consider a second budgie. I cant believe how happy my budgie was when he got a buddy! It made me so happy to see them together. And it meant that I didnt have to worry about leaving him alone without much attn. while I interacted with my parrots.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Would need some good clear shots of the nostrils to be sure on boy or girl.

This bird also appears to be recessive pied, which means that the eyes will never lighten up. They will remain black for life. Therefore, you cannot use eyes to determine age. Bella might be a boy! Cere will never be blue if male!

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Would need some good clear shots of the nostrils to be sure on boy or girl.

This bird also appears to be recessive pied, which means that the eyes will never lighten up. They will remain black for life. Therefore, you cannot use eyes to determine age. Bella might be a boy! Cere will never be blue if male!
Do you think its a boy, because if so, I need to change the name now...eek...Im researching and seeing now the difference...I love love love the dark eyes though!!

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Here is a video I took, I posted it in the budgie area, there is no question it's a boy (I think). I've been researching since your last message. It is very pink/purple, As for age, is there any way to tell what age he may be or a close guess since we can't go by the eyes......Also Rockybird I really want to get another keet for him but then I will have 4 birds...idk what to do. I literally just told my mom last night I think he should have a friend.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
IMO all budgies are much happier in pair.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yup! Male! What a sweet boy! Can't help but wonder if someone is missing him!

Being recessive pied, it pretty much means you can't tell because it can even remove the 'baby bars' that other birds have when they are chicks.

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thats what surprises me the most. Not a single person claimed him and there wasnt even a lost parakeet/budgie/bird in my area. I searched everywhere craigslist, facebook, local forums, ect. Where he was found (my job) is miles from houses & homes, so I thought maybe he got away from a pet shop (there are 2 bird shops, and petsupermarket about 5 mins or so away) I left him at my moms thinking he would be found. Never happened. I wish I knew something about him, how far he flew, how long he was lost for, what happened to his little toe, I feel so bad for him. No matter what I promised him Id give him the very best life here ever. As for another bird, I was reading they dont get along with the same sex right? So I would have to get a female? and wont I have to worry then about them having babies if I do that? Im so otw to becoming the old crazy bird lady :arghh: