• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Found lost bird- Toe has turned black

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I left a Parakeet that was found at my job at my moms since I didn't want to bring it to my home since I have two parrots. Yesterday when I went to check on her, her toe was black. I rushed her to a random ER place and they gave me an antibiotic, pain meds, and told me to come back in two days to see if it needs to be amputated. I had to bring the bird to my house because my mom cant give the bird the meds and nobody has claimed it. I never have seen anything like this happen before. Has anyone had this happen. What has the outcome been? I am SO SCARED having this bird in my home with my other birds. She is in a separate room, two closed doors separating her from where my bird is and the vents are closed in the room she is in... I keep wanting to check on her but Im so scared to even go into the room because I don't know if she is healthy. The vet said she looked very healthy but without tests I trust nothing. As far as the toe does that sound right, an antibiotic and waiting longer when its black...Im so worried for her I've been hysterical it...I can hear her chipping in the other room but I don't want her hurting right now.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
I see what you mean a few photos would be good it's nothing to worried about the black toe means that the tissues in it are dead. It usually does not mean any other illness and falls of on it's own. I've had a quail that got bumble foot and needed to surgically treat it but the bandage though was necessary stopped blood flow in one of her toes and in turned black and soon fell of she was happy after that it never seemed to hurt her and lived on happily she passed recently due to other reasons and me and my cousion (the owner are still very sad). Hope this helps a few photos would help,

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That definitely sounds like necrosis, or possibly a hematoma. If it doesn't fall off on its own, it may indeed need to be amputated to relieve the pain and prevent spread of dead flesh.

I totally understand your paranoia about having her in your house, but it sounds like you're taking the right precautions to protect your flock. If you're not already, you may want to change clothes and use disinfectant after visiting the new bird's area, just in case.

Best of luck to you and the little one!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's good of you to help this bird. A bad toe is usually due to injury I believe, not illness. But to be safe, change your clothes and wash your hands after handling the budgie.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Please go and check on her, she is in a new place and all alone. You can shower and wash your hair as well as changing your clothes if you are so worried. Your other birds will know she is in the house and will be happier knowing you are caring for her.

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Please go and check on her, she is in a new place and all alone. You can shower and wash your hair as well as changing your clothes if you are so worried. Your other birds will know she is in the house and will be happier knowing you are caring for her.
I just took that video posted above, I also have on the tv for her in the room so she doesnt feel all alone and shes next to a window so she can look outside. She seems so normal I can't believe how tame she is. Also I have showered and washed my hair 2 times today and its only 11am...I think Im going to go crazy dealing with this because I keep wanting to go in there...

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I see what you mean a few photos would be good it's nothing to worried about the black toe means that the tissues in it are dead. It usually does not mean any other illness and falls of on it's own. I've had a quail that got bumble foot and needed to surgically treat it but the bandage though was necessary stopped blood flow in one of her toes and in turned black and soon fell of she was happy after that it never seemed to hurt her and lived on happily she passed recently due to other reasons and me and my cousion (the owner are still very sad). Hope this helps a few photos would help,
I just posted a video for you

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Awwwww what a little cutie, thank you for helping the little one.:) It sounds like you are doing everything for the quarantine already, scrub, scrub, scrub.:lol:I hope the little one can keep the toe, poor little thing!

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I would go in and spend time with her. She's a cutie. :)
I know I am utterly in love with her, I also kept her at my moms originally not just for quarantine but also because I was so afraid of falling in love with her and the owners claiming her and then me getting heartbroken because I'd have to say goodbye, I fell in love the moment she was handed to me, Im going back in there now and am going to spend a little time before I run errands...she was stepping up and everything before this happened. I wish I had her here the entire time in my possession because I feel like if she had been under my care I would have actively been watching her so this wouldnt have happened, the vet said it most likely happened when she was in the wild but Idk im def beating myself up over it...I just bought a new cage and I hate having to change the surroundings again on her but I have to give meds for 10 days and there is no way I can get her out of the little cage safely without causing more injury..so this whole thing is such a nightmare...also now I have 3 birds...THREE...I officially am on my way to the equivalent of becoming an old bird lady....haha

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Yes that leg does look dead, poor baby but don't worry it will fall of very soon it looks almost the same like our quail. It won't need to be amputated but the poor thing will still loose it.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Or the other thing that can happen is that the leg is severely severely bruised and has turned black because of that if that is the case you will need to apply some ointment.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh she’s precious!:heart: Thank you so much for helping her. At least she seems healthy other than her foot, but it’s good you are taking precautions. I’m so glad she has you, maybe forever?:fingerscrossed:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it's turning black then it is most probably necrotic as well as being broken as per the vet. Perhaps the budgie got the foot caught or got bit by another bird. Lucy was bitten by one of my birds (I'm suspecting it was Shannon.) and she wound up with a broken toe and the tip of the toe started turning black. Vet said that part would fall off and it did. Lucy was on antibiotics and pain killer. She wound up having some ligaments sticking out and those needed to be cut. Monitor the bird to make sure she is not biting the toe or her foot and making things worse.
Thank you for helping her.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She seems so normal I can't believe how tame she is.
She is in pain and is in a new home. She can also be in shocked.
Also I have showered and washed my hair 2 times today and its only 11am...I think Im going to go crazy dealing with this because I keep wanting to go in there...
You don't have to shower and wash your hair if you use hair protection. (the one that doctor use in OP)
The only thing you have to do is to change cloth, I suggest using a long coat to have over your normal cloth and others shoes or socks.
And disinfect your hands of course or using gloves. That is the most important thing.

I hope the budgie gets some painkiller, (and perhaps even antibiotic) that must hurts bad. And remove the swing ASAP, and add some flat perches covered with something soft.

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
If it's turning black then it is most probably necrotic as well as being broken as per the vet. Perhaps the budgie got the foot caught or got bit by another bird. Lucy was bitten by one of my birds (I'm suspecting it was Shannon.) and she wound up with a broken toe and the tip of the toe started turning black. Vet said that part would fall off and it did. Lucy was on antibiotics and pain killer. She wound up having some ligaments sticking out and those needed to be cut. Monitor the bird to make sure she is not biting the toe or her foot and making things worse.
Thank you for helping her.
The vet said exactly what you just said!! That it will fall off and if it doesn't it most likely will need to be cut off, watching the videos of the first day I had her you can see it is injured, makes me so upset :( I feel like she has been through so much and now when she finally was saved now she has this happening to her foot, it just sucks....thank you so much for your response..I feel a little bit better but wish I was able to just make it all better for her

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
She is in pain and is in a new home. She can also be in shocked.

You don't have to shower and wash your hair if you use hair protection. (the one that doctor use in OP)
The only thing you have to do is to change cloth, I suggest using a long coat to have over your normal cloth and others shoes or socks.
And disinfect your hands of course or using gloves. That is the most important thing.

I hope the budgie gets some painkiller, (and perhaps even antibiotic) that must hurts bad. And remove the swing ASAP, and add some flat perches covered with something soft.
The vet gave me pain meds and an antibiotic. She loves the swing so much I cant take it away from her. I did move her to a bigger cage tonight since I had her in such a tiny thing. She chrips all day long and plays with the toys in the cage so I know she has to feel a little bit content. She also was perching on my hand and stepping up on the first two days. Watching back at the videos you can see it was injured I wish I would have noticed sooner... :(

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
She is adorable!! What a cutie! Blessings for taking care of her!