• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found Crow

blackcrows

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Adam
I found a 14 week old crow. It was abandoned it seems since there were no crows close by helping this bird or trying to care for it as a fledgling. We are going to take him to the wildlife center, however we've been told they will euthanize the bird. The bird is healthy, he eats a lot of food daily however his right leg seems to be bowing inwards and it crosses over it's left leg. I don't believe the leg is broken as he has movement in the leg and he try's to stand but cannot. His claws are also clenched inwards like a fist. He hobbles around on his elbows. I've made a stint to keep his leg from crossing over the other one and it seems to be helping the bird. We know it's illegal to house a crow, so we will most likely take him to a center, but we are nervous that they'll just put the bird down. Any suggestions. We were told it could be deficient in calcium and phosphates, so we're feeding it high calcium foods. Like I said, he's grooming himself and he's a very happy bird. But we were hoping to get him back up on all Two's!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Check the laws in your state. In my state it is not illegal to keep crows, but it is illegal to keep Ravens - under the Migratory Birds Act.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
What the state does not know it does not know but the bird probably needs medical care & not surewhat a vet would do if it was illegal to keep them...

Really sounds like the bird needs medical care &something is wrong. Likely why it was abandoned by the flock.

How do you know its 14 weeks old? Does it fly?

Just tell them its a black pigeon with a big beak...

Could be some sort of paralysis Are you in Australia

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes vets will take them in and treat them and not euthanize. You could call around.
Hope the crow will be OK. Thank you for helping him.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I think they won’t euthanaze him, it can’t Hurt to ask as they Will likely be honest with you. I volunteered at a wild bird rescue and the only animals we euthanized were animals that couldn’t recover, like a fox with a broken back. I don’t know about the rescue you Will go to though but is is easy for a rescue to feed that crow and let him pass through the rehabilitation process in My personal experience:)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Don't know if such a young bird would have heavy metal poisoning...not likely.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for saving the little crow! :smileflower:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Interesting...How to make Elizabethan Collar

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No respectable wildlife rescue would euthanize him, at least not here in Arizona. If he is able to be rehabilitated, then they would help him..I'm sorry someone told you that. Hope you, or a rescue can help him.