• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

found canary foot question

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Ok whew.....relief..... I just hate seeing birds get worse and worse because a very convincing "expert" gives anecdotal remedies. :) There are lots of those around here (Florida).

CharityRose

Sitting on the front steps
Ok whew.....relief..... I just hate seeing birds get worse and worse because a very convincing "expert" gives anecdotal remedies. :) There are lots of those around here (Florida).
:) plenty of those here too!! A vet visit is an automatic here for any new addition, whether planned or unexpected. She did offer to take in this little guy to rehome, but he's really grown on me in the 48+ hours he's been here (even if he still hates my guts right now lol), so think he's here to stay, just don't tell my hubby that!!! and thinking he's going to end up inspiration for another hand-painted clay planter....I still have a couple I need to paint up for the summer, thinking a pretty yellow canary among some leaves would be a nice addition o the ones I've already done!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Aww how sweet that you already like him!

One of my friends just kept telling her hubby they were fostering their birds. After 9, do ya think he caught on??

You’’lol have to show us your planters! Several of us are into painting and other artistic endeavors.

CharityRose

Aww how sweet that you already like him!

One of my friends just kept telling her hubby they were fostering their birds. After 9, do ya think he caught on??

You’’lol have to show us your planters! Several of us are into painting and other artistic endeavors.
lol He thinks this is temporary...but, they do tend to stick around!!

As for art, I do a wide variety :) My planters have been the last 3 years...I have a hard time keeping hold of them, they tend to walk off after much begging and pleading lol

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
*gasp*

Those are so gorgeous! I’m in love with the frog one.

@iamwhoiam did you see these?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

CharityRose

@CharityRose how is Jerry doing? :embarassed:
:pHe is doing quite well actually, singing up a storm, and has recently started to sing while I'm sitting in the same room painting away, so long as I don't face him lmao! I think regardless, the name Tweety is gonna stick, the kidlets refuse to entertain any other name suggestion, and there has been many! My partner calls him the space alien, says some days he sounds like a space ship laser going wrong! And running water for a drink or dishes, well, within 5 seconds he starts singing and doesn't stop until the water is turned off.

I finally saw some sign of feather regrowth this week, at least I think I did...he doesn't stay still long enough when I'm close to the cage to get a really good look. I've been trying him on veggies as well....put a large leaf of romaine clipped to the cage, and he will devour it over everything else, with cucumber slices a close second. Not a fan of egg, nor does he like thin sliced carrot (one of my Quaker's favorites). He didn't much like the bird bath the first couple days I put it up for him, but now he loves it. still trying other veggies, but so far no go.

Other than the bald head and foot issue, he seems to be perfectly healthy otherwise, and is putting on weight. I've just gotten a larger cage for him, but am waiting until after next week's vet visit before introducing him to his new home. Plan this week is to go take a walk in the bush and find some good sticks for more natural perches. I will be glad to be able to move him to the new cage.....it comes with a built in seed guard and food dishes below, because I swear more seed ends up on my floor than ever ends up in his belly!! I've put both a cuttlebone and mineral block in with him, however he hasn't even looked at either. I suspect wherever he was prior to escaping, he never had them, nor toys of any kind.

He's starting to calm down to the household though, that panicked little chirp of his whenever someone was in the room is now only reserved for when someone is right next to the cage. So I'm thinking sometime next week to start working with him and see if I can't succeed in finger-taming at least.

Sorry I've been MIA, and likely will for a bit longer. My father took yet another heart attack, and I got rather testy with another Secretary who swore up and down she put the paperwork through for surgery 6 weeks ago. As I work for an EMT oncology surgeon and his wife (also a Dr. and assists in surgeries), a few calls to contacts friday showed that nope, no paperwork was ever sent to the surgeon. So we've been waiting 6 weeks for a call that was never going to come, and that she didn't bother to actually check up on....Well, A few calls yesterday to a colleague, and my father goes in for urgent blockage removal friday morning. Once its done, provided everything goes well and he recovers ok, I should be back more often :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh no! I’m so sorry about your father. Hopefully now everything will get sorted and the surgery will be successful.

Sounds like Tweety is settling in nicely and decorating your home with seed to suit himself. :)

CharityRose

So glad to finally be able to update on "Tweety" (I can't fight 3 kids on the name, its sticking no matter what lol)!

We finally had our appointment with Dr. V this morning! I'm happy to report Tweety has put on weight, from the scrawny 15g at time his overgrown nails were trimmed, to 26g today. Dr. V suspects the feet and weird feather growth (feathers on his bald head have started to come in kind of twisted) is more due to a long term vitamin A deficiency, and didn't see mites upon exam. She did notice some distension in the lower belly area that could be nothing, however she decided since we know nothing of Tweety's history prior to him finding me, we were going to cover all bases.

He got a healthy dose of Vitamin A popped into his crop (that was fun to watch...he refused to open his beak J), and a dose of Ivermicin. He'll also be getting a low dose of daily antibiotics in his water for a bit to ensure the belly distension isn't an infection or anything. In 2 weeks time we will go back for another Vitamin A dosage and check up. In the meantime, I get to try to catch the little guy and make him hate me once a week for another small dose of Ivermicin. The plan is to treat for infection, mites/parasites both internal and external, and vitamin deficiency, and hopefully have not only a happy bird (so long as no one is looking at him lol) but healthy.

I did start the process of switching him off a seed diet to a pellet and veggie one, although he's not a fan for the most part! He does absolutely love his daily leaf of romaine lettuce with some cucumber tossed in, but isn't yet fussy on apples, carrots, broccoli nor anything else. Its a work in progress! I have a larger cage set up and ready for him, however I think he will remain in the small emergency cage for the time being, easier to catch!! We started daily flights in a secure spare room upstairs so he is getting a chance of spreading his wings again without worrying about an open door outside. I learned the hard way to keep these free times to the EVENING hours, because he at least goes back to his cage to sleep, and I don't have to chase the poor thing around a room trying to get him back IN the cage lol.

And Cosmo (Quaker) is really trying to mimic Tweety's song! She calls out too, every time his little "your too close to me" chirp starts, like she's concerned about his wellbeing. She's often very protective of the kids, and her call out is identical to the one she uses when "protecting" my youngest son. She's been trying to get closer to visit, but we have kept them quite separated. My poor cat Luna is still giving me the side eye as if to say "another one? really? I'm tormented enough!" and meanders on her way to pester someone.

So, hopefully Tweety is now well on his way to a happier healthier life, and an unexpected permanent home here.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Oh poor guy... he must of been on a pretty bad diet in his previous home to have such a bad vitamin A deficiency! I can’t beleive someone would let a little bird go through that! So glad he’s with you:heart::ycanary:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That's good news!!!!

I'm not sure I'd remove seeds from his diet altogether, to be honest... but you could try feeding sprouted seeds over dry?

CharityRose

That's good news!!!!

I'm not sure I'd remove seeds from his diet altogether, to be honest... but you could try feeding sprouted seeds over dry?
Seeds won't be removed completely! My Quaker get a mix of pellets, seed, dried fruits/veggies and dried herbs and grasses to go with her Fresh offerings each day. I don't like offering just one or the other, but rather a mix to add variety and nutrition.

It appears the stress of the vet visit and being thoroughly manhandled has caused poor Tweety to enter an early molt....He's been pretty much sulking since thursday, Quiet although active. ONLY trilling briefly when water is run. I also don't think he's drinking the medicated water offering at all...At least I haven't seen him touch it yet....