• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found budgie

Bcsur5er

Checking out the neighborhood
This budgie was found in a neighbor's yard several days ago. They are an elderly couple and could not keep it. I brought him home because I knew he would not survive. We still had a large cage and perches from when we raised finches. We have a post on Facebook (which has been shared 30 times), on a local well-known lost and found Facebook page and on the Nextdoor app. It has been 4 days with no response. If we don't find his owners, he certainly has a home with us. We are already getting attached.

I've done a little research and GUESS him to be a recessive pied. But that is a very uneducated guess! Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Also, can you tell me the approximate age and gender?

Thanks!

Attachments

Bcsur5er

Checking out the neighborhood
I didn't know about that site. I'll post there today! Thank you!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You are welcome.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He is adorable!

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
You are correct in his mutation, he is a Recessive Pied, and definitely male. It's hard to tell how old he is, older than 6 months.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Beautiful. I know someones heart is breaking losing this little guy

sunconures

Meeting neighbors
He isn't more than 4 months old. That is, if I saw the picture correctly. Is her/his eyes completely black, or does he have a white ring? If he has a grey-ish ring that is still forming, he is 5 months old-9 months old. Anything older, he will have a clearly visable white ring. If he has a completely black eye, he is 4 months old or less.

I'm sorry for refering to he/she as a he earlier in this, but you can't tell until he/she is a year old. Then, you can look at the cere (I spelled that one correctly, it's pronounced s-ear, the skin where the nostrils are on the beak) and, depending on the color, you could tell. But, seeing that he/she isn't a year old yet, I wouldn't try to guess without a proper DNA test.

I hope that you can find the owner!
Also, where did you find him?
Good luck!

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
He isn't more than 4 months old. That is, if I saw the picture correctly. Is her/his eyes completely black, or does he have a white ring? If he has a grey-ish ring that is still forming, he is 5 months old-9 months old. Anything older, he will have a clearly visable white ring. If he has a completely black eye, he is 4 months old or less.
Since this little guy is a Recessive Pied mutation, he actually will not develop any iris ring, even when he is an adult. Recessive pieds will always have completely black eyes.

I'm sorry for refering to he/she as a he earlier in this, but you can't tell until he/she is a year old. Then, you can look at the cere (I spelled that one correctly, it's pronounced s-ear, the skin where the nostrils are on the beak) and, depending on the color, you could tell. But, seeing that he/she isn't a year old yet, I wouldn't try to guess without a proper DNA test.
Actually, it's easy to tell the gender when they are still quite young, you just need to know what you are looking for. I can sex all of my chicks at around 4-5 weeks old. This one is definitely a male. The solid pink/purple cere is typical for a male Rec. Pied. A female at this age would have a light blue and white cere.

Nerine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nerine
Yes, he is a recessive pied and most certainly a male :) He`s beautiful!

Cassandra.c87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cassandra
A very handsome sky blue recessive pied. Thank you for opening your home to him and best of luck on finding his owner :)