• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Found a Sick Bird - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Today I finished my shift at work and decided to stop for sushi. I had just hopped back in my car when the car parked next to me reversed and drove off.

That's when I noticed a domestic pigeon sitting where the car was parked. It was fluffed up and didn't move even when the car drove right over the top of him. His beak had crusty stuff on it which I at first thought might be blood.

So I took out my wildlife rescue kit and toweled the guy (he didn't even try to move away). I took him back to my car and gave him a once over to see if he had a broken wing or leg. He didn't, but I noticed the crusty stuff on his beak was chocolate! And lots of it!

So I took him home and he is currently in my garage in a spare cage. I don't want to bring him inside because I don't want to put my pet birds at risk should he be carrying some sort of disease.

I can feel his keel bone, but I'm not sure if this is normal for wild pigeons?

I gave him some water, seed blueberries and multigrain bread. He has eaten and had a few sips of water.

He is very unbalanced and a little weak. Could this be chocolate poisoning? What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning?

Now my question is this...

Should I take him to the vet? They will euthanise him immediately because wild domestic pigeons are a pest species here in Australia and it is illegal to try and save them.

Do I keep him and try to treat him myself? I don't have the proper knowledge or skill to diagnose and treat him should he have an illness or poisoning.

Do I keep him for the weekend and try to put some weight on him, then release him back where I found him?

I can give him Ivermectin to get rid of potential worms and mites. I can also give him vitamins in his water. Other than that I can only provide a warm, quiet place for him to recover.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the big guy:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have found 2 injured wild pigeons, both I took to the Vet and I didn't have to pay, they done it for free and didn't euthanize either of them.

If you don't want to risk it though, keep him/her and see if you can fix him/her up and if s/he's fine by next week, release him/her where you found it.. ooor until s/he is better.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I have found 2 injured wild pigeons, both I took to the Vet and I didn't have to pay, they done it for free and didn't euthanize either of them.

If you don't want to risk it though, keep him/her and see if you can fix him/her up and if s/he's fine by next week, release him/her where you found it.. ooor until s/he is better.
Really? Did they relinquish the pigeons back into your care once they were healthy again?

You see, I'm doing a Certificate III in Wildlife Rehabilitation and part of it is to do volunteer work. Every single non-native species we get in we have to euthanise (we don't say this to the people surrendering them of course).

Any native species brought in has to be treated for free (it's actually Australian law).

I'd much prefer to take this guy in to a proper vet. But I'm scared I'll sentence him to death. :(

Last edited:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Really? Did they relinquish the pigeons back into your care once they were healthy again?

You see, I'm doing a Certificate III in Wildlife Rehabilitation and part of it is to do volunteer work. Every single non-native species we get in we have to euthanise (we don't say this to the people surrendering them of course).

Any native species brought in has to be treated for free (it's actually Australian law).

I'd much prefer to take this guy in to a proper vet. But I'm scared I'll sentence him to death. :(
The Vets gave them to WIRES then they were released again.

It's really sad that non-native species have to be euthanized, it's really unfair. :(

Do you have WIRES there? I rescued also a Rainbow Lorikeet and it was released back here at my house after the woman from WIRES took it to the Vets and it was better.

It's a bit tough this situation, you want to take it to the Vets, but then you could end up having them tell you they have to euthanize it.. what about just giving it water and some food and see how it goes? it could be up and normal within 24 hours, well hopefully!

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
here is an article on chocolate it gives some of the symtoms

Pets and chocolate are potentially dangerous especially for kittens.

if he makes it in about 20 hours the effect of the chocolate will be over

I would get him confortable and as much as he can drink and eat :hug8:
Thank you for the article! He's not having seizures so that's a good sign. I think I can almost see his keel bone sticking out completely.

He started eating immediately when he I placed him in the spare cage, and he hasn't vomited, so I'm wondering if he has worms? He also hasn't passed any droppings and I've had him home for a little over an hour now.

What else do pigeons eat? I know bread is probably not the best choice...

Can I offer him some mealworms and grit as well?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
mealy worms yess grit no :hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
do you have corn that is good for him

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
The Vets gave them to WIRES then they were released again.

It's really sad that non-native species have to be euthanized, it's really unfair. :(

Do you have WIRES there? I rescued also a Rainbow Lorikeet and it was released back here at my house after the woman from WIRES took it to the Vets and it was better.

It's a bit tough this situation, you want to take it to the Vets, but then you could end up having them tell you they have to euthanize it.. what about just giving it water and some food and see how it goes? it could be up and normal within 24 hours, well hopefully!
Unfortunately WIRES is only a NSW thing. :( I would love to have something similar here in QLD.

I once saw a Pelican tangled in fishing line and I couldn't phone anyone to come out and help. He eventually swam away, but I hope he somehow managed to untangle himself.

I know what you mean about non-native species having to be put to sleep even if they can be saved. They really have it rough in Australia with all the people trying to hurt and inhumanely kill them in the first place.

I think you're right, I'll just keep a close eye on him for a few days. If I see him dramatically regress then I think the best option for him would be euthanasia anyway.

mealy worms yess grit no :hug8:
do you have corn that is good for him
Ok, thanks! I thought softbills needed grit because they don't hull their seeds.

I have frozen corn kernels. I'll cook them a bit and offer it to him as well. :) Thank you!

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
I personally would not take him anywhere that might euthanize him. I can't currently address the chocolate questions because I have no experience with chocolate eating birds but Beatriz C. may be on soon. She seems to know a lot more than the average bird keeper. I will try and contact her at another site.

As far as the pigeon goes otherwise, I personally would care for it and when better, release it. Maybe a local breeder can assist you or bird pet shop owner/manager.

I assume you actually saw the bird drink the water you gave it? Great if that is the case, otherwise it probably will need to get some Sub-Q injections of electrolytes into it asap.

Regarding feeding it: What I have done with success in the past is to soak bird pellets in warm water just long enough for them to get spongy like, then I take a few in-between a couple of my fingers and gently squeeze out most of the water so they are just damp. Then I hold open the beak and push the bolus way back into the mouth above the tongue, as far as I can get it to go and then the bird basically has to swallow. Sometimes they shake their heads and just fling it out (usually a sign that you did not get it back far enough). I then just repeat procedure until they swallow. I get them to swallow a few times and then repeat a few hrs. later around the clock. Sometimes I have used scrambled eggs also for one of the feedings each day, maybe two. This can also be done with bread (good quality whole wheat that has other healthy ingredients in it). I have heard some people use dog food, monkey biscuits, etc. but I have not tried those myself.

If the bird is not clearly drinking by itself, be very careful if & when trying to get water into it as it is very easy to aspirate. This is one of the reasons it is beneficial for many birdkeepers to learn how to properly crop feed with a gavage instrument because if one knew how, one could give the bird some handfeeding formula if he would not take it on his own. The local breeder or bird pet shop manager may be able and willing to help you with injections and crop feeding if they are very experienced at this. Worth a try in my opinion.

Also it is a good idea to have injectable Baytril on hand to give an Intra muscular (IM) shot into the chest muscle (at the right spot of course) when needed. An avian vet can show you or anyone how to easily do this next time you go to an avian vet and they can also show you how to give a Sub-Q injectiion of LRS (electrolytes) into the right spots. Your local well experienced breeders can aslo show you these procedures. They also usually have fungal meds on hand, if needed besides many of the other basic meds. Good luck.

"...........

Now my question is this...

Should I take him to the vet? They will euthanise him immediately because wild domestic pigeons are a pest species here in Australia and it is illegal to try and save them.

Do I keep him and try to treat him myself? I don't have the proper knowledge or skill to diagnose and treat him should he have an illness or poisoning.

Do I keep him for the weekend and try to put some weight on him, then release him back where I found him?

I can give him Ivermectin to get rid of potential worms and mites. I can also give him vitamins in his water. Other than that I can only provide a warm, quiet place for him to recover.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!......."

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Pigeon-Talk is a great forum with great advice for pigeons.

Hi, thanks for taking the bird in and seeing what you can do for him. Chocolate can cause diarrhea, seizures, vomiting, etc. It looks like the bird is past that stage but could use some help due to the look of the feces. The poops look rust brown to me which could be what he has eaten in the last 4 hours. ACV has been suggested and will change the PH in the GI tract this may help. A herb that will help with the loose poops and very good for the GI tract is slippery elm, it may be available in a heath food store. The electrolytes in Gatorade or Pedealyte mixed 50/50 with water will help perk the bird up. Do you have a seed mix for your birds that you can offer the bird? Pellets soaked in warm water in a post above is another good suggestion.

This bird may need an antibiotic should he have an infection. Do the bird stores there carry Vetafarm products?

By keeping the bird warm 85-87 degrees it will use his energy stores to fight a possible infection rather than use them to keep warm.

Keep us posted.

gary

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
Please don't seal his faith to death.

Try and keep him. As long as no one knows you've got it. Then you're ok.

southernbirds

Do your best to follow the preceding suggestions. I'm sure you will see progress by tomorrow. You are a good person to rescue a living thing. It will fly free soon I'm sure.

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Actually, pigeons are quite hardy and, once you give them a quiet, safe, warm place to rest without stress, clean water and food, most of them get better on their own so, if you are afraid that the vet might put it down, give it a try yourself. I used to pick up sick pigeons from the street and bring them home to recuperate and, with the exception of one, all of them did. The ivermectin is a good idea but I would wait until I see that he is eating and pooping normally and strong on its feet - I would also do seven days of a wide spectrum antibiotic like enroflacin, just in case (can't hurt). And yes, they do need grit, pigeons are natural seed eaters but they swallow the seeds whole, without dehulling it (like canaries and finches would do) so, if you don't give them grit, they can't process the food. As to food, they'll eat pretty much anything (they are great scavengers) but millet, corn and some small black oil sunflowers would do the trick nicely and you can supplement them with baby peas, canned corn, grated carrots, basically anything that it's small enough for them to swallow in one piece.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you all so much for the advice! :)

He had bloody, runny and slimy poops all of last night and this morning. Here's a photo of the first one he did:

However, for the last couple of hours his poops have had no trace of blood and have been fairly solid and been a darkish green colour. There is a lot of urine though.

So far I've given him probiotics in his water. Should I use ACV instead now? Maybe alternate between the two?

I don't have pedialyte on hand and the stores are all closed now (Sunday afternoon). I can get gatorade and dilute that in his water?

Umm.. so do I put the gatorade, ACV or probiotics in his water?

So far he is pecking at his food (defrosted corn kernels, multigrain bread, millet, sprouted seeds and budgie seed). However, he isn't eating nearly enough I think.

Is it time to force feed him some corn and peas then?

I haven't used the Ivermectin yet as I wanted to make sure his bloody droppings are gone for good. I might use it tomorrow morning if his poops are still alright.

I can get some wide spectrum antibiotics tomorrow. I also have some vet prescribed antibiotics on hand (I went through a terrible string of illnesses with my budgies a few months ago and haven't actually chucked out the antibiotics yet).

I have Baycox, Doxyvet, Flagyl and Meloxicam. I know using antibiotics like these without an avian vet diagnosing an illness could be risky (organ failure?). So should I just not risk it and go out and buy a broad spectrum antibiotic from Vetafarm?

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Hey again, Kelsey.

Hopefully there'll be no more blood in its poop, that's not good! as long as its poop is OK now, then it should be alright.

I have always given birds that are ill or injured Gatorade, it'll help boost its energy (is it walking around/climbing at all?) and keep him hydrated.

1. commercial electrolyte fluids, such as Pedialyte; or
  2. mix one pint of water, one pint of Gatorade, 1 teaspoon of honey or Karo syrup, 1 level teaspoon of baking soda, 1 level teaspoon table salt.

Have you tried giving it something like warm oatmeal from a spoon/syringe?

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Kelsey, if you give Gatoraid...50/50 with water...Gatoraid is LOADED with sodium...
As for the bloody poops...since they are that bright red, looks likes lower intestine problems...any more in the last 3 hours?
I don't know about the meds..:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I hope he will recover! :hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
From your description and picture of the poops I would suspect coccidiosis. Coccisiosis is a parasite in the intestine that will cause bloody and slimy poops in dogs, birds, etc. VetaFarm makes a product called Coccivet which will help. The Baycox you have is also listed for use coccidia. The other Vetafarm product is called Doxyvet and is a broad spectrum antibiotic useful for a bacterial infection.

Here is a link to information about Vetafarm coccivet: Vetafarm Coccivet-Vetafarm Coccivet is for treatment of Coccidiosis in all pigeons, falcons, poultry, birds, finches and small mammals.

I still feel slippery elm mixed 1-tsp to 4-tsp of water will help sooth the GI tract while giving the other medications. ACV will help the GI tract by changing the PH but will not get rid of protozoa.

Keep us posted

gary

Status
Not open for further replies.