• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Found a baby peewee/magpie lark - what do I feed him?

bumblebee

Walking the driveway
Hi,

I found a young peewee/magpie lark in a local car park, no sign of mum anywhere and looks like he’d been there a while. I picked him up and took him home and gave him some water but not sure what’s safe to feed him? He keeps opening his mouth like it’s hungry.

Will attach pic in second post.

Thanks

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thankyou for helping him :hug4: I'm not sure what to feed him :( I'll try searching around the Forum. I see from your info you're in Australia I'll tag some Australians maybe they can help you :)

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Copied from a Google search.

The magpie-lark is primarily a carnivorous species , feeding mostly on invertebrates such as insects, spiders, worms and crustaceans . However, small vertebrates, including reptiles and frogs, are also sometimes taken , and seeds are occasionally eaten.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Sulphy Too @Lodah @derek
I know we have more Australian members, Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding more.

I wish you all the best with that little guy. He sure is handsome. You know of wildlife rescues that could possibly help?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mealworms, wax worms, safe crickets all drowned of course... ewww, I know .. , chopped hard boiled or scrambled eggs, even a bit of soaked cat or dog kibble, cooked cooled oatmeal, feed from hemostats, or tweezers..till you find a rescue. Sure is cute!!

D

Deleted member 29421

Soak cat kibble in water til its soft and swollen. You can speed it up by using hot water. Do not use canned cat food. When its ready, pick up a piece and give it a little squeeze to make sure excess water isnt dripping from it. Hold a piece above its head and if it doesnt want to open its mouth, lightly tap the tip of its beak with the food and then move your hand up over its head. That will usually make it open its mouth. Also, sometimes if you make a noise kind of like the noise you hear when someone is sucking a piece of food out of their teeth, it encourages them to open their mouth. Keep feeding pieces til he looses interest. They know when to stop. Do NOT give water, theres plenty in the soaked kibble.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How’s he doing? Thank you for helping this little bird!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Anything a magpie will eat he will eat. Cat food will be easy for a start if you have some, they always pig out on cat food if they have the chance.

bumblebee

Walking the driveway
Thanks heaps for all the advice - he has been happily eating drowned mealworms like mad, doesn’t seem to ever want to stop eating so I have been trying not to over feed him. He seems very active and chirpy - I think he’ll be ok. I’ve found a carer to take him in a few days. :)

E3C66EF4-8AE6-4C35-B0A9-9D950670077C.jpeg

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So cute...He's a lucky fellow!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks heaps for all the advice - he has been happily eating drowned mealworms like mad, doesn’t seem to ever want to stop eating so I have been trying not to over feed him. He seems very active and chirpy - I think he’ll be ok. I’ve found a carer to take him in a few days. :)

View attachment 289896
What a face! :xflove:

Thank you so much for helping! :heart:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've heard that they are voracious feeders. He already looks so much better! More alert

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that he is doing well and that you found someone to care for him, although you are doing a good job with him.