• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fosters Part II

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Piggybacking off of @sunnysmom thread I figured I would post my fosters as well! I have Sadie the Eclectus, Basil the Senegal, and Porky and Pia the CAG's. Lets just say that my house is pretty interesting right now, haha.

Sadie is fairly quiet and reserved. She seems to prefer men and steps up onto a perch but not hands. She loves food and is very food motivated, which is so unlike Gillian. She hasn't had much personal interaction but I think she is starting to show interest. I think she will make a great bird for someone who understands the challenges of Eckies. She devours her fresh foods.

Basil is very comfortable around hands but only if she is close to her cage. Shes about 19 years old and has only had two homes her entire life; at least according to her intake records. She is also a really good eater and loves her fresh food. She started plucking after she was surrendered but we are hoping with the right diet, enrichment, and interaction she may come around. She's still cute and sweet, naked or not though.

Porky and Pia and semi bonded. Pia has picked most of her feathers, even chewing off her secondaries. They are both talkers. With four greys in the house the plethora of beeps, whistles, and conversations is really something. Harley is actually really interested in these two. Jasmine has been vocalizing with them and has picked up some of their whistles and beeps, and vice versa. Pia is the most cuddly grey I have ever met, its like she's a cockatoo in a grey body. She is very active and interested in everything that is going on, but gets overwhelmed easily. Porky is more nervous but wants to be close to Pia, even if that means flying across the room to get to her. He steps up but not from his cage, he will bite.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
You are amazing Jake!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Sadie, Basil, Porky, and Pia are just beautiful! I will bet it IS crazy, but lots of interesting fun!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Oh man. I wish I had room for 1 more. Basil just yanks at my heart strings.

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
They are all so beautiful and lucky to have you! Sadie though.............:heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thanks for fostering theses cuties!:heart: Basil looks like such a little sweetie.:faint:

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
You guys are too nice, haha.

Sadie, Basil, Porky, and Pia are just beautiful! I will bet it IS crazy, but lots of interesting fun!
Oh yes- the variety of beeps, whistles, alarms, and complete conversations in english is crazy haha. Porky and Pia have been together for I assume 18 years, so they finish each others sentences quite frequently. Porky talks more so than Pia, but he is harder to understand when he grumbles. He's been grumpy yesterday and today, biting my hand pretty good. After he bites me and I put him down though he looks at me with his head tilted and says "come here" in a sweet vocie. I fell for that one once...haha.

Sadie decided it was okay to come out and hang out on a stand tonight. She even started playing with some toys. Still no hands though. Basil is the furthest away from her cage tonight, sitting with us on the couch. She's okay with it as long as there are sunflower seeds.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
You guys are all too nice, haha.

Sadie made some good progress today. She willingly comes out of her cage and onto a stand but is hesitant of hands. Well tonight she would put one foot onto our arms, take a sunflower seed, then pull the foot away. She did this several times and seemed to be getting more comfortable with it by the end- baby steps. Basil accepted some head scritches tonight but didn't want to step up. Porky I am finding is cage aggressive and his favorite form of enrichment is to fake me out by stepping up then biting if I reach into his cage, haha. Outside of his cage though he seems okay thus far, especially when he wants to get closer to Pia. Stepped up from the stand next to his cage and allowed me to take him over to Pia on the other stand. Something scared him though and he flew back across the room, actually landing quite gracefully. He allowed me to pick him up and put him in his cage after that.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
A hopeful goal with Porky and Pia is to see how they fit in with Harley and Jasmine and have a small flock of African Grey's. From discussions with my vet and a friend who is a proponent of flocking, we feel this might help Harley work through some of his issues, and vice versa for Pia. So we shall see how everything plays out, fingers crossed, we just want whats best for them all :).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
A hopeful goal with Porky and Pia is to see how they fit in with Harley and Jasmine and have a small flock of African Grey's. From discussions with my vet and a friend who is a proponent of flocking, we feel this might help Harley work through some of his issues, and vice versa for Pia. So we shall see how everything plays out, fingers crossed, we just want whats best for them all :).
You and Kim are great. I asked her last week if they were going to be permanent additions......... :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She says anytime you ask about permanent additions it jinxes her and they always stay :p
Oh no! LOL. I guess that's kind of true. Maybe I just have a sixth sense about it.. . or you're easy to read when it comes to birds that steal your heart. ;)