• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fostering a Lory

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hi everybody,
today I will pick up a black capped Lory that I will foster for about a month. Any of your input and experience will be welcome. Since they are messy, any tips on how to place the cage and maybe protect walls? Favorite toys and food? Please let me know anything about them.

Thank you

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I do not have a lory, however I hung a clear shower curtain on the wall behind Michael's cage. It works well.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
We picked up Riley. The car ride was uneventful and he stepped up right away out of the travel cage. We put a clear shower liner on the wall behind his cage. he came with Roudybush pellets ground to a flower. I went to my bird store and bought him Roudybush nectar, he loves it. I feed him cantaloupe, grapes, papaya etc. , I got some baby food too. We also put him to bed in his travel cage too, since we have a good experience with putting our other birds to bed in a dark room.
Yesterday he was mostly silent, not very active. Today he played a little and had a bath in a bowl. The poor guy has no chest feathers and his legs are naked too. I hope he will grow some feathers back. He talks a bit and makes funny noises, one sounds like a cat.
I am still looking for advice from Lory/ Lorikeet owners.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahwww what a beaut! Thank you for fostering him!!
I *think* at this moment @WallyLoopey is the only active members with lories

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Oh here’s just some quick food suggestions-

Avoid grapes and anything citrus.

Skip the pellets and only feed nectar or dry nectar, insectivore softbill diet. I feed Blessings lory foods and get them from mysafebirdstore.com

Fresh foods you can feed safely- daily

Peaches, watermelon, pears, apples, cucumber, corn on the cob

I rarely deviate from these few foods. In my experience the fewer the better and these have the least iron. You can give plain black tea once or twice a week as it is thought to block iron absorbtion.

I know with our other birds we are used to providing a huge variety of foods, but with softbills it really is better to stick to this short list.

No baby foods as most have added iron. Peel your apples,pears etc.

Sometimes I will throw all that and my nectar mix with water in a blender and serve them a ‘smoothie’.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Oh here’s just some quick food suggestions-

Avoid grapes and anything citrus.

Skip the pellets and only feed nectar or dry nectar, insectivore softbill diet. I feed Blessings lory foods and get them from mysafebirdstore.com

Fresh foods you can feed safely- daily

Peaches, watermelon, pears, apples, cucumber, corn on the cob

I rarely deviate from these few foods. In my experience the fewer the better and these have the least iron. You can give plain black tea once or twice a week as it is thought to block iron absorbtion.

I know with our other birds we are used to providing a huge variety of foods, but with softbills it really is better to stick to this short list.

No baby foods as most have added iron. Peel your apples,pears etc.

Sometimes I will throw all that and my nectar mix with water in a blender and serve them a ‘smoothie’.

Thank you! He was a bit more playful today and less tired. I only bought meshed fruits and veggies for baby food, no added iron. His talking ability sounds great, hope he will pick up a lot of words.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Mine love anything with bells or charms, bouncy swings/boings are a must. Things to throw, ie little balls. They love vines and ropes, houses to hide in and throw everything out of, tunnels..

They are just little clowns! You can do a few different skewers around the cage and play area..hide bowls of dry nectar in tunnels or under paper. Just don’t hide the fresh nectar so you don’t forget where it is! Lol!

I made a foraging toy for Skittles that I piped nectar in...hard to clean but was really fun
1BE21E4C-8450-4D8E-B687-97A3A51DE8F3.jpeg

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
They squirt outward too... so if you have another wall in front of the cage (ours was in an entryway) it might get sprayed.

I picked up a bunch of rugs at the $tree that I could wash everyday for in front of the cage. I lined the cage with puppypads since it actually soaks up liquid vs newspapers.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Thank you so much, great ideas!!!! Can't really hide food buckets since he is big and throws everything over :)

Do you feed honey? Thinking about a training treat and thought I could use a spoon with honey.