• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

foraging troubles

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
My GCC needs stimulation. She gets bored quickly. Trouble is, she's incredibly shy and timid and is terrified of any and all new toys. Any ideas for DIY foraging toys, or non-scary looking smaller ones that I can purchase? :cinnamongcc1:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kinds of things does she already like?

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Try to desensitize. Lay out all her toys on a table so she can see. Go over and play with them yourself and bang them around or ring the bells. That should help some. Some birds are just scared of everything (like one of my Pi's)

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I like to take some millet and put it in baking cups and gather and twist the opening. It looks like a bag with a twist on top. I then will shove the twist out from their cage so they can chew through the paper and eat the millet. Once they recognized the little paper everywhere, they came further and further out of their cages. This worked for our budgie he got out of quarantine and was terrified. Now, he is less scared and loves chewing thew these things!

I use these for foraging throughout their room now and it's like a treasure hunt. I can also limit the seeds they get by doing this too. I measure out how much they should get, I'll put some in with their crumble and the rest we play with.

IMG_1034.jpg IMG_1033.jpg

Attachments