• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging Tray Options?

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
My cockatiels love foraging trays! In the past I've used dried pasta noodles (elbow shaped) as the material through which they would forage. This worked well, as it was easy to just toss the whole thing at the end of the day and clean the tray, but I always kind of felt bad using a food idem in this way, just to throw it out.

I've since been using stones for foraging, and although this has worked fairly well, it has been much more challenging to keep clean! Right now I have these stones in the tray of a 17 x 18 inch play gym. I LOVE the size of this foraging tray, and the tiel love it too. When I take it out, I put it in the middle of the living room floor, and the cockatiels love to fly down from the top of their cages, land on the top perch, and climb down to forage. However, because the stones require much more time and energy to clean, I only really get to offer my tiels this foraging tray on the weekends. However, I think it I were to switch to a disposable foraging material, this larger foraging tray could be a part of their daily routine.

I saw kitty litter being used as foraging material in this video here:
In the description of the video, she says "The end aim is to have the dish full of a bird safe kitty litter like Oz Pet or Breeder's Choice. Both are safe if chewed or eaten," and " It is recommended by avian vets and if you use one of the brands suggested above, they are safe to chew even if your bird consumes some. It doesn't taste very nice though so it's very unlikely that your bird will purposely eat any!"
While this option would solve my foraging tray problem, I am skeptical. Although she says that it is "recommended by avian vets," I have yet to find any reliable sources to confirm this. :huh: I'll keep looking in the mean time, but I figured I would also ask the forum, since some of you may be familiar with these kitty litters.

I'm thinking that, if I were to use a different foraging material for the big foraging tray, I could then use the stones for a smaller table top foraging tray - I think that would be easier to maintain and keep clean.
If you have any other suggestions for a cheap, disposable foraging material, I would much appreciate it!
Thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just use shred/crinkle paper from the dollar store for my foraging basket :)

There are paper pellets like Yesterday's News Yesterday's News Original Formula Cat Litter, 30-lb bag - Chewy.com

As far as I know, the unscented is just recycled newspaper. But, not sure the impact if they eat it.

You could also try Alfalfa Reptile Litter https://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=34493

Made from Alfalfa and Rice Bran. It is thinner and smaller than the paper though (i use a mix of both for my rat litter boxes :lol:)

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Thank you so much Mizzely! This is very helpful. Do they expand very much when wet? That would be my main concern, in case one of my tiels tries to eat one of these.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you so much Mizzely! This is very helpful. Do they expand very much when wet? That would be my main concern, in case one of my tiels tries to eat one of these.

Let me go do a test quick; the alfalfa ones usually just sort of crumble, but I am not positive on the paper.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Let me go do a test quick; the alfalfa ones usually just sort of crumble, but I am not positive on the paper.
The alfalfa seems like a good option, since it is made to avoid causing impaction in reptiles, and so many pellet brands include alfalfa now. If that one just crumbles, then I will most likely go with that option! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Alright, that went quick LOL.

The paper pellets expand LOT. Like easily twice their size. But, they are also larger so they likely wouldn't try to eat them anyways (they are about an inch long)

The alfalfa ones swelled up a tiny bit, but then disintegrated. I would say a wet cheerio absorbs more water than the alfalfa did.

Hope that helps!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I use carefresh in the bottom of a play gym tray and just toss it when it seems dirty. It’s safe and does not expand when wet. They don’t really chew on it; they toss it around.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Thank you so much, Mizzely, for conducting that experiment for me! That was very helpful. I'll go with the alfalfa. :)

It's do funny - I've never had cats (or reptiles), so all of these litter brands are new to me. :rolleyes:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you so much, Mizzely, for conducting that experiment for me! That was very helpful. I'll go with the alfalfa. :)

It's do funny - I've never had cats (or reptiles), so all of these litter brands are new to me. :rolleyes:
They were to me too.

I can tell you what not to use. A lot of people put equine pellets on the floor of their cages. They’re like compressed wood. I tried it and lost several finches, apparently when they get wet they give off ammonia.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I use beads and stuff, basically whatever toy bits I have on hand. Chirp likes to throw everything all over the place. So I plunk it all into a ceramic bowl (so Chirp can't move it) and put in some seeds and let him go to town.

I use carefresh in the bottom of a play gym tray and just toss it when it seems dirty. It’s safe and does not expand when wet. They don’t really chew on it; they toss it around.
That's a really good idea... And it looks so pretty with all the colors. Seasonal poop-catching material, anyone? Christmas, Halloween, etc... Ohh boy I'm down the rabbit hole now!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Hmmm this is an interesting idea. I have been using paper bedding for my lovebirds. They play with it but I have never seen them eat or chew it....alfalfa reptile bedding. I like that idea!