• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging Toys Please

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Felix, a cockatiel, needs more foraging toys. Easy ones though, he doesn't appear to shred as other cockatiels do. He would rather shake the toy for food than destroy it. A lot of toys can be foraging toys if you get creative so give me all you got; possible treats are sunflower seeds, millet, and a homemade treat I make (It can be any size). I would love for him to forage for veggies (the skewers of food, etc) but I've clipped stuff to the cage and he only barely nibbles lettuce if at all. So it's not likely. I DIY everything, so you might keep that in mind. Toys:
+Foraging Pinecones
+Foraging Coffee Filter Flowers
+Millet In a Finger Trap (haven't tested it yet)
+A wood block with holes in it for treats
+Small Cups you can hang around the cage
+Ice tray with random toys/stuff/shredded paper and seeds
+"Treats In Jail" toilet paper tubes with straw pieces poked through it (haven't tested it yet)
I'm working on a plastic bottle lid toy, and I've heard vine balls work well, but I don't have any yet.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Here's the link::::

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Have you tried cauliflower? My birds love ripping it up into pieces. Just tossing another idea in the mix. :)

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
One foraging game that doesnt involve shredding for my birds is when I just hide treats unexpectly around their cage, in the crannies of their seagrass mats, on a flat perch, at the bottom of a bucket toy, etc.

Also, I have a couple of small wicker baskets with lids that are bird proportioned. I will hide some small pieces of cashew in one and have them out like a game of cups, and Luna loves to find them by grabbing the lids (and flipping the baskets sometimes :p) to find the treat.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
This video has some good ideas

This channel, although not updated lately, has a lot of good foraging ideas as well :) dawn graham - YouTube
Thank you for responding. I will defiantly look into it.

@WallyLoopey made one that my cockatiels still love (it’s getting pretty bedraggled).

Looks like this

View attachment 314760
Looks great, I worry he might think it's a nest but I will try it. Thank you for responding!

@rocky'smom
Did a video on one not to long ago. I'm hoping she can upload it or post the forum link from her stuff.
That's the coffee filter flowers I mentioned. They were a great hit, minus the fact that they fall out of the cage occasionally:lol:

Here's another link::::::
Isn't that for bigger birds? I'll try it, but he doesn't seem to be the shredding type.

Yep, I have used the second two stickies... I don't know how the first one works. I haven't had a lot of time to scan through the whole forum, but I look at new posts.

Have you tried cauliflower? My birds love ripping it up into pieces. Just tossing another idea in the mix. :)
Thanks you for responding! I have used broccoli (He doesn't seem to try new things very well). Do you clip it to the side of the cage?

One foraging game that doesnt involve shredding for my birds is when I just hide treats unexpectly around their cage, in the crannies of their seagrass mats, on a flat perch, at the bottom of a bucket toy, etc.

Also, I have a couple of small wicker baskets with lids that are bird proportioned. I will hide some small pieces of cashew in one and have them out like a game of cups, and Luna loves to find them by grabbing the lids (and flipping the baskets sometimes :p) to find the treat.
Thanks you for responding, I will try that.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Yes but I had a little tiel that would search anything put in her cage just to see if there was a surprise in it.
Isn't that for bigger birds? I'll try it, but he doesn't seem to be the shredding type.