1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging Time

Discussion in 'Enrichment and Foraging Park' started by BeeBop, 10/10/17.

?

Do you like making foraging toys?

1. I love it!

40.0%
  2. Yes

40.0%
  3. I guess

20.0%
  4. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BeeBop

BeeBop Sprinting down the street

Homeade foraging toys! They seem to have taken well to it, even shy Tango enjoyed it! Hopefully this will lighten BeeBop's attitude :D.. thanks for the toy in bowl idea @WendyN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Familyof12

Familyof12 Sprinting down the street I Can't Stop Posting!

Liz
    I cast my vote as a non-toy or foraging toy maker but my daughter just reminded me I made little cut out windows on a used toilet paper roll, stuffed it with toilet tissue and millet. I would just keep re-stuffing it with something different every day. It was one of the ways I got my guys to eat veggies. One day millet, next day veggie and they found they liked veggies too.

TikiMyn likes this.
  3. BeeBop

Nice, I've done similar before except with some non-toxic colored construction paper to make it more interesting. :)

TikiMyn and Familyof12 like this.
  4. Familyof12

Familyof12 Sprinting down the street I Can't Stop Posting!

Liz
    See? Mine didn't even get colored. It was ignored for the longest time, it was why I forgot and was going to vote no. :embarassed:

TikiMyn, BeeBop and Fritzgerald16 like this.
  5. taxidermynerd

taxidermynerd Sprinting down the street

Bee
    I "make" foraging toys for Chirp, but they're usually pretty simple, like small cupcake liners with a piece of millet. Almost every toy I make can be a foraging toy if you tuck a treat in it!

TikiMyn, faislaq and BeeBop like this.
  6. BeeBop

Nice idea to use cupcake liners! :)

TikiMyn and taxidermynerd like this.
  7. javi

javi Sprinting down the street Avenue Veteran

JAVI
    I wish I was that creative. I will buy foraging toys and do a couple of simple foraging things that work for my flock. Wish I was as imaginative as others though

TikiMyn likes this.
  8. cosmolove

cosmolove Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Erica (:
    Looks awesome!! I sometimes will fold the top of the cup down to close it a bit and put it smaller holes and make them rip it open to get the goodies too!

I would take the climbing clips out of their cage tho, I don't believe those are a bird safe metal and the colorful coating usually comes off and I'd assume isn't safe for birds to ingest.

TikiMyn likes this.
  9. TikiMyn

TikiMyn Sprinting down the street I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Robin
    I love making foraging toys, when I know I am going to be short on time I Will watch two episodes of a serie I love, or a movie and just make toys while watching:D I make little Rolls of newspaper with seeds inside, toilet Rolls with the openings closed with a bit of seed, I have made Some foraging devices for them, boxes stuffed with newspaper packages with a treat inside(they haven't grotten this one down yet), I have several baskets and cups and such with beads in it in which I can hide food, and the current favorite are two plates with pebbles with a few seeds and small toys on them. That's about all I can think off right now!
    I love the ideas here! I have so Many ideas I have not tried yet:D I have to make a list of ideas I Think!
    (I was looking for a phone of the newspaper toll thing but found a few others, Maybe someone can use those ideas for their fids:)

image.jpeg
    This is one of their plates, they also love those paper balls with a few seeds inside them!

image.jpeg
    This one is coffeefilters with treats inside in a larger paper bag I folded. I do this so they can get used to ripping the paper up before I move on to the cardboard boxes image.jpeg
    They can mess with flowers for hours, that counts as foraging too I think
    image.jpeg
    Ah finally a newspaper roll, I hope you can see a bit what I mean, I cut long strips of newspaper in the length, put seeds on one end en then just roll it up

Hope someone found a new idea to try with their babies:)

Last edited: 10/12/17 at 1:06 PM
    finchly and Tiel Feathers like this.
  10. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Sadie
    If Sherbie even catches a glimpse of the coffee filters I use, she will scream her fool head off until you stuff treats in it and wedge it between the cage bars. She LOVES attacking them.

I'm still trying to get Rupert used to foraging. He's such a piglet that once he realizes it's got food in it, he's all ears. I gave him a little bowl with balsa blocks, a foraging ball, and sprinkled sunflower seeds. I came home to an empty bowl and a big balsa confetti mess. I made him a larger foraging setup but he's terrified of it. I bet by the end of tomorrow he'll have dug in to it... he's just sheepish.

TikiMyn likes this.
  11. BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21 Jogging around the block

Jake
    We make foraging toys out of egg cartons, dixie cups, and paper. The flock usually gets at least one of these options placed in a different area of the cage everyday. We prep about two weeks worth at a time and keep them in sealed bags. Use a little bit of everything inside of them, including pellets, sunflower seed, Nutriberries, almond slices, fot toys, etc.

Tiel Feathers and TikiMyn like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)