• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging flowers and seed heads

VantCors

Strolling the yard
My lot (4 parrotlets) LOVE foraging with a bunch of seed heads I bought at Trago Mills in Cornwall, and I can't find anything similar, and I don't even know what type they were!
The packet was intended for parrots, but didn't list the ingredients.

I'm wondering, what similar items can I maybe buy in larger amounts or are for a different purpose therefore cheaper? Ie. guinea pigs always seem to have more foraging options, and seed heads for flower arranging are always around.
Basically, what flowers and seed heads are suitable for parrots? Thanks!

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Sunflowers, geraniums, nasturtiums (and the seeds), bottlebrush, gum tree blossom, (and gum nuts), gravillia (and the seed pods) orange blossom, ...I have given my Dusty all of these when they are in season from my garden...oh and we don't use bug sprays

VantCors

Strolling the yard
Thank you! I'll try and get a picture of the sprays I bought too to see if any of you know what they are :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Flower arrangement sprays and seed pods are often treated with spray on chemicals to keep insects from getting on them. Never feed to birds! I raise my own sunflower heads, mulberries and mulberry trees to provide fruit leaves and wood free from insect spray and chemical.

VantCors

Strolling the yard
Thanks, I was wondering if they would be treated!