1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging Dish Idea

Discussion in 'Enrichment and Foraging Park' started by Nancy B, 5/6/18.

1. Nancy B

Nancy B Jogging around the block

Nancy
    TikiMyn likes this.
  2. Nancy B

Nancy
    This one is plastic but I did see one with the terra cotta dish with straw in it....that may be better since the straw can be thrown out....

TikiMyn likes this.
  3. TikiMyn

TikiMyn Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Tailgating Party!

Robin
    Jep you can do that! I do something similair for my fids. I also use straw, they like messing with that too:)

Nancy B likes this.
  4. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Just got to be careful that all the stones are large enough for the bird not to swallow. Its a good idea for sure. Notice that the dish is flat which allows for better foraging.

Nancy B and TikiMyn like this.
  5. Nancy B

Nancy
    Oh I know that, learned that the hard way. Didn't know birds will get objects caught in their throat. One of my sweet lovebirds died that way :( That's bothered me for years. so much so that I haven't allowed them to have beads. Those small clear beads you see on most bird toys is what he choked on!

TikiMyn and Lady Jane like this.
  6. Nancy B

Nancy
    This is my dish...now to get him used to it! It's fun putting things together for him. He always looks at me as if to say "now what". Hahaha! 1525790965573-129360381.jpg

ode.to.parrots, finchly and TikiMyn like this.
  7. Nancy B

Nancy
    I was thinking of "planting" some fresh greens between the rocks and sprinkle pellets, dried greens and very few seeds throughout it. It's going to take me a half hour to put together a dish every day lol.

TikiMyn likes this.
  8. Nancy B

Nancy
    I might get a bigger one and put rocks in it with water to see what he does with it! Haha! It would look like a little puddle. He's spoiled rotten. No wonder he has an attitude lol.

TikiMyn likes this.
  9. BirdManDan

BirdManDan Sprinting down the street Vendor I Can't Stop Posting!

Dan
    I've done that and I put the rocks in a pot of water and boiled them to sterilize them for reuse. Just make sure they are cooled before reuse.

Nancy B and TikiMyn like this.
  10. Nancy B

Nancy
    I love this dish idea! He usually only eats cooked carrots. I also sprinkled some shredded carrots with very little seed, and he passed up the seed to eat the carrots! WOW SUCCESS! He really seems to.like it, he's just starting to approach it, I had to leave it outside his cage for several days.

ode.to.parrots and TikiMyn like this.
  11. Nancy B

Nancy
    Hey seems to like it, Dan! I have put together several things for him to do, all within his walking distance from his cage. He's got a toy basket, that foraging dish, his basketball game with balls, a 30" cat tree, his boing stand, and I got a cat toy that has a plastic ball he can chase around in a circle with a foraging treat cup in it (1.99 from the thrift store I work at) this can go on the floor of his cage! There's plenty to keep him busy and he's very slowly checking things out. It takes him a long time but that's ok. It gives me time to adjust too! He's got a lot of toys and a lot to climb on.

finchly and TikiMyn like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)