• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging blocks

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Been cutting wood as a favour to @SamatranTiger . She requested some foraging blocks for Joey, so I cut some 1.5"x2.5"x6" blocks and drilled them full of holes! There are 20 blocks here, and each block has 48 holes. That's a lot of holes!!!! Took 5 hours total.

How it works is, Andrea will hammer beads into those holes and Joey will dig them out. Maybe Andrea will show you the finished product when she puts the beads in! :)

IMG_20170424_122129.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Those will be wonderful toys when the beads are added!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC would definitely love it!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Awesome!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is a great size block of wood for him.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
So.......I have a question, not being very experienced with birds, do they automatically know not to swallow those little round beads. They look like seeds, it would seem that they would automatically try and eat them?!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So.......I have a question, not being very experienced with birds, do they automatically know not to swallow those little round beads. They look like seeds, it would seem that they would automatically try and eat them?!
Welcome to my village of worry...... I don't know why they don't but my Amazon doesn't.

@JLcribber if you answer her, remember she is new, be nice.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

They are just as smart as you or I at ascertaining whether something they put into their mouth is food or not. Chewing something and eating something are not the same thing. Having said that. I would be hesitant to give a bird any bead type things that are small enough to fit down its throat because accidents do happen. Larger is safer.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Good job...such precise hole placement too!

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Boo would LOVE Those!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Looks awesome! Did you have to use a rubber mallet or anything for the beads or how did you make sure not to break the beads while you're hammering? I've been wanting to making a bunch of these out of some extra wood I have but I don't want to destroy all the beads and then give it to the birds....I guess that'd be like my toddler giving me ABC fruit snacks last night lol

SamatranTiger

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Looks awesome! Did you have to use a rubber mallet or anything for the beads or how did you make sure not to break the beads while you're hammering? I've been wanting to making a bunch of these out of some extra wood I have but I don't want to destroy all the beads and then give it to the birds....I guess that'd be like my toddler giving me ABC fruit snacks last night lol
I simply place the bead in the hole, put a piece of pine over it (about 1/2" thick) that's long enough so I can hold onto it, and use a regular hammer to hammer the bead in. I have yet to break a bead this way :)
I'm sure there's an easier way but this is how I do it lol