• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

For those who *used* to clip...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
The small birds are not clipped from what I could tell. Budgies, finches and I think even the cockatiels aren't clipped. The few Rosellas I've seen weren't clipped either. Conures on up are the birds usually clipped. It probably varies depending on store policy but usually the smaller birds aren't clipped. Now that you bring this point up I'm going to be more aware and see which birds are and which aren't. I usually don't pay as much attention to the smaller species. :o:
I thought of this when I was in the pet store up the street from me this morning...all they have are budgies in a glass cage in their high ceiling store. All the budgies were clipped.

LovieLuvr

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Thank you for this thread...I've been gradually letting Stitch grow his feathers out since he had a horrible clip from the vet. He fell like a rock and I felt awful. I'm a little scared to let his flight feathers grow out, but this is another reason to think about it.

Joey

Hit the Road
i have never clipped my birds. only clipped birds i got were clipped from before, and after their flight
feathers grew back i never really thought about clipping anyway.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The budgies my first room mate bought were never clipped (I was still terrified of parrots then). When I got my first parrot, Gracie Tiel, the breeder clipped her severely and told me it would help keep her tame. Poor gracie crashed so much that first three months, I thought she was inherently clumsy! Then her feathers started to grow back and she began to fly a little and I vowed never again to clip a bird. They are meant to fly; let them.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to allow Peanut to be flighted living with other people(he ie a vicious divebomber/biter). Now that me and my SO are moving out on our own his flights are coming back and he is sailing. It makes my heart drop to see him in the air. :heart:

And my Odin is sooo good at flying now! I was "passing" her to my SO across the room and she missed the Target, his arm. She circled around his head and landed on his shoulder instead. :bliss: she is only missing one flight feather on both sides. We will never go back to clipping.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to clip mine,because my vet said it was best. But thanks to finding my parrot Forums,I keep them flighted now and Nala's have completely regrown and Simba is almost there. I will do my best to not clip again,but Simba will attack my mom and dog,so its possible I may have too in the future.

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I used to clip mine,because my vet said it was best. But thanks to finding my parrot Forums,I keep them flighted now and Nala's have completely regrown and Simba is almost there. I will do my best to not clip again,but Simba will attack my mom and dog,so its possible I may have too in the future.
Couldn't you leave Simba unclipped, & just put him in his cagewhen you have guests? That's what I do with my SC' Nicky. I just can't take away that attribute that makes him what he is--a BIRD! I can see it's a bigger problem with your dog. Nicky & our dog pretend neither one exists to the other, so I do have to be alert in the evenings & weekends when Nicky is is out of his cage.

Last edited:

TITANIS

Nobody does. What smaller parrot can draw the attention that a large macaw or cockatoo does? :eek::)
'Tis true; I have acquired more of an interest in the smaller species this year even though I've traditionally been a big bird fan. The smaller species have a unique beauty all their own. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.