• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

For those that have sleep cages and main cage how do you do it?

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I'm not sure how to do this but I want Bongo to have a sleep cage and main cage. In the morning do you move them to main cage while you go to work? Or keep your bird in sleep cage till you come home? How do people do this? I'm going to duplicate his main cage and sleep cage. They'll be identical in size and how it's designed inside and toys.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I used to do sleep cages. Small sleep cages were in one room, and they got transferred to the main larger cages in the living room every morning before work.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Usually sleep cages are smaller like a travel cage. Kobe has a sleep cage in my bedroom and in the morning I transfer him to his big cage in the sitting room.

None of my Amazons have a sleep cage and if I did it over again Kobe wouldn’t have one either. Parrots don’t need a certain number of hours uninterrupted sleep. They can nap during the day when you are at work.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
He definitely sleeps while we are at work. As terrible as this may sound this is for my fiance and I not really for him. With him being in our living room we have to tuck in at 7/730 every night. No more movie nights. No cooking if I'm home late because it'll wake the bird then we'll have a screaming Amazon and in an apartment setting that is an absolute no go. Also a reason we are moving to a trailer but we still want to utilize the sleeping cage method because we miss our late night movie nights, and our fight nights and our gaming. I miss cooking huge dinners for us and not having to race while doing it because "the bird is screaming to go to bed". That is why I am looking and wondering how to execute and utilize the two cage method till we can get a home with a den or a all seasons sun room. Till then we need our lives back and our birdy needs his sleep so he isn't a sleep deprived crab apple.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Usually sleep cages are smaller like a travel cage. Kobe has a sleep cage in my bedroom and in the morning I transfer him to his big cage in the sitting room.

None of my Amazons have a sleep cage and if I did it over again Kobe wouldn’t have one either. Parrots don’t need a certain number of hours uninterrupted sleep. They can nap during the day when you are at work.
Did Kobe have a sleep cage at one point??

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Did Kobe have a sleep cage at one point??
Kobe still has a sleep cage. He sleeps in my bedroom. I’ve literally just put him in it! He's so used to it, he gets anxious if I don't put him in it at night, so I just continue.

Here is Kobe in his sleep cage:

Kobe - sleep cage.jpg

And this is Ollie in his travel cage which is exactly the same, to give you a better idea of size:

Ollie - travel cage.jpg :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret has a travel cage in my bedroom. I don't use it all the time. Last night, bad storms..... Secret went into the travel cage for the night.

Amazons are awesome. They roll with the flow (or at least my two did).

I also use the travel cage in the bedroom when my kids are in town and staying up super late. Otherwise, Secret is cool with late night movies, just dim the lights.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Kobe still has a sleep cage. He sleeps in my bedroom. I’ve literally just put him in it! He's so used to it, he gets anxious if I don't put him in it at night, so I just continue.

Here is Kobe in his sleep cage:

View attachment 444437

And this is Ollie in his travel cage which is exactly the same, to give you a better idea of size:

View attachment 444438 :)
They're beautiful