• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

For Texas people - bird safe wood?

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Hello!

Anyone here in Texas know of a place where I can harvest bird safe branches?

I'm wanting to make more places for Duckie (and future flock members) to hang out, and I'm wanting to go the DIY route. I'd like to find some bird safe wood that I could (minimally) harvest.

I'm in Austin, but am willing to make a trip out of it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
There are a couple of links to lists on here.
The wood should come from a place that is far from a freeway so as to assure no toxicity in the plant. You also want a plant that has never been sprayed with pesticides as the plants will soak it up and it will never get rid of it. So kind of assure whatever you use, you are super sure the the plant has been not sprayed with anything or been near a heavy road.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Thank you @faislaq I have that link bookmarked - I'm just wondering where in Texas I can find any of those woods! I've done some Googling with not great results.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I just looked around my area & looked up what different plants were by leaf shape, etc. We have a lot of bayberry bushes up here & their branches get pretty darned thick.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Yeah, there are a lot of Mesquite trees in a preserve where I live I THINK, but I'm not 100% positive thats what they are. Also, it's a preserve, so I'm not going to go chop any wood down there. I guess if there are some fallen branches maybe I could take some - but I'm not 100% sure.

Where are you @faislaq ?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
North of Dallas
I've often wondered if it would be less expensive to buy a live bird-safe tree from a nursery and make a stand out of it than to order premade. When we get a house I plan on planting a few harvestable trees that do well in our hardiness zone. I love the way pecan trees smell, they're bird-safe wood, plus we'd have some free nuts in the shell!

Last edited:

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Mesquite grows like weeds where I am and is bird safe. I usually look for the mature pieces that don't have the huge thorns. But I live on 10 acres so it is easy for me to get it.

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Hello fellow austinite! Crepe/crape myrtles are bird safe. We frequently use the clippings every year for branches. Pecan trees grow rampant around here-- in fact, if you want a potted one, we have one that keeps dying and reviving every year in our front yard that we've been trying to get rid of for years. Ha!

Most fruit trees are safe too -- all the nurseries around here are selling them like mad. Hill Country Water Garden was selling pomegranate trees for $25 a couple weeks ago.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Thank you guys for the tips. :)

@javi Where do you live in Texas?