• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

For my book, habits of a raven

RachaelR

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rachael Rawlings
In my fictional book, The Raven Replied, I have a character that has a crippled raven she found in the basement of a house. The raven is one of her companions. Since I've never had one, I was wondering if anyone knows of habits they might have? How they sound when they talk? Do they like people food?

Doing research, but I figured I'd get some good information from you all!!
Thanks!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
In my fictional book, The Raven Replied, I have a character that has a crippled raven she found in the basement of a house. The raven is one of her companions. Since I've never had one, I was wondering if anyone knows of habits they might have? How they sound when they talk? Do they like people food?

Doing research, but I figured I'd get some good information from you all!!
Thanks!!
World Bird Sanctuary here in St. Louis has ravens. Google that.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I love ravens. I have 2 bronzes of them.
The closest I get to them are in the grocery store parking lot here. They are giants compared to the crows and really have a strut to their walk.
Their voices are much different than crows too and they are usually in mixed flocks with crows so I hear them together. I especially seem to notice the knocking call that the dominant females make, and in general they seem to be more resonant than the crows, and more of a croak than a caw.
I've never heard a raven talk but we do have a wild talking crow for over a decade here, I call him the hello-crow and he comes by to talk to me as I guess nobody else will talk and say hello with him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You know here in Maryland there are two Ravens that go to every football game played by our Ravens team. They are beautiful shiny black. Don't know where they live.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Ravens will eat almost anything, including meat. The sites that talk about how to feed wild crows/ravens recommend that you give them cat food (cats are obligate meat eaters). My flock, that have been visiting my back yard for years eat Meow Mix cat food and some of the food I put out for the little birds - seed and corn mix. I try not to make them very gentle - there are too many 10 year old boys with BB guns around here.

JaneH

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jane Hewitt
Like crows, Ravens like to collect and hide shiny objects. As mentioned above, they can make or imitate many more sounds than crows. They also live a lot longer--maybe up to 25-30 years.