• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

foot problems

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm going to guess it's diet related....

She should have fresh foods as a minimum, 25% of her diet, but hopefully at least 50% or more of the diet, if you can balance it out. Berries and exotic fruits are healthier than domesticated fruits.

I would consider getting her onto a diet that includes pellets, although if you go with a fresh food based diet (~50% grains and seeds with ~50% vegetables and *some fruit) then pellets aren't quite as necessary. Seeds though aren't very healthy for her. You don't need to cut seeds out completely, I mean, they are great as training treats! Or sprouted! Just, a seed diet is not good. Fruits shouldn't be a large part of the diet, either...

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
I appreciate the advice. I do have trouble understanding the pellet diet as she has neglected them in the past. These nutri berries of lafebers are marketed as a alternative to pellets with similar benefits and she at least eats them. Thanks again

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
I know little about spouts but am willing to try that as well

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's good that she's willing to at least eat some Nutriberries, but you still need to work on getting fresh foods into her.

This forum, including sticky threads, is a wealth of info for that! :)
Feathered Food Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

If you want to get into even more information and have a Facebook account, then there's Feeding Feathers group and the Avian Raw Whole Food Nutrition group. One recommends feeding pellets as a part of the diet, but leans towards feeding dye-free, sugar-free pellets that are high end, or as close to organic as possible. The other is diet based on raw, fresh foods, with minimal, if any, cooking. Processed foods are *NOT* part of the diet, this including pellets!

Short and simple, she needs to learn how to eat better! :) This means you need to get your thinking cap on and think creatively! ;) I find mash or chop type recipes work great with many birds! It's basically "eye candy", thus it looks more interesting! You have different colors, shapes, textures... it looks more interesting! And you can mix in a tiny amount of their regular food to try and get them interested. It's best to feed new foods first thing in the morning before they eat their regular food. In other words, no food in the cage over-night!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
Trixie is doing well....sores have healed and she is getting better food as well. I am thankful for this website as I think my vets are a bit unsure how to help her.