• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

foot problems

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
Trixie has been treated with an antibiotic for a bacterial infection due to sores on her feet. They healed up but she is still picking skin off her feet and we are seeking advice. We have also used ivermectin on her legs thinking she might have scaly leg mites. Her mood is better but she continues to remove rather large pieces of skin from her feet. Any info would be appreciated.

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
IMG_0270.JPG We're not sure if they are self inflicted or not. She had two large blood red sores on her heel area when we went to vet about three weeks ago. He put her on an antibiotic for a bacterial infection and they healed nicely. He also has us treating with invermectin but she continues to pick skin off her feet. I can post picks if I can figure out how..lol

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What kind of bird is this?

My amazon was doing almost the identical thing, when going to my avian veterinarian he swore I needed an Aspergillus titer done. As I knew asper to present more as a respiratory issue I was pretty hesitant to believe him, he put his foot down and told me to test him. Sure enough, asper positive.

I've not heard of topically treating birds with invermectin, not to say it's not the normal... is your vet avian certified?

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
Trixie is a yellow nape of three years age. The vet never really confirmed the mite possibility but still had us treat with a drop of invermectin on the tarsus or shin area once a week for three weeks. We have had trouble finding a vet that seemed used to or knowledgeable about our birds. Her mood is much better but she continues to remove skin from her feet.

Attachments

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
The asper thing I may need to look up and I will...thank you

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What kind and size of perches does the bird sit on?

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
She has a variety of natural perches... but she does perch mainly on the door to her cage.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Both feet? Are both the feet in the same location? Did it start in a certain area such as the heel or a toe?

Where are you located? We might be help in finding an avian vet for you.

While asper is not the first thing that pops into most people's mind for something like this, it is a real possibility. I was shocked to have my vet recommend testing and more shocked to have him be right. Your wounds look the same as mine did. Large chunks of skin would be peeled off. My bird even seemed to stand in his water dish to soak the skin for better pulling. :(

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
Yes... it's been both feet and she healed nicely from the bad sores but as I mentioned she continues to peel skin off and no open sores presently but we watch her nonstop and something is obviously causing her to pick them. We have no humidifier here and it's very dry in winter. Bloomington Illinois is our location.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes... it's been both feet and she healed nicely from the bad sores but as I mentioned she continues to peel skin off and no open sores presently but we watch her nonstop and something is obviously causing her to pick them. We have no humidifier here and it's very dry in winter. Bloomington Illinois is our location.

Niles Animal Hospital in Niles IL is my vet. :) Dr. Sakas, is that too far?

Edited.. about two hours from you, that's about how far I drive to him too. ;)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
A humidifier and air purifier would be beneficial for your sweetie.

Is there a reason he suspected mites?

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
I suggested the mite thing to my vet. He never confirmed it. Thanks for the tip on a vet. I could get there. I tend to doubt it is mites as I have a ringneck that has no symptoms.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm going to doubt mites. Try some aloe or coconut oil, coconut oil has antibacterial properties too.

I would try to see an avian vet, Sakas is wonderful and worth the drive.

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for your advice. We will watch her closely as we have been. How would we administer the aloe and coconut oil?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It would be topically applied.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What is her diet like?

Sometimes, skin problems can be due to a diet lacking in something.

David Sean

Meeting neighbors
We just saw the vet today and he said she is very dry. Any dietary suggestions that might help would be greatly appreciated. She eats a local seed mix and a few fruits like apple and oranges. We have also just started using lafebers nutrition berries.

Last edited: