• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foot issue ?

apolloaer

Moving in
Hey guys!

So I got a new budgie today to keep my other budgie company. The pet shop employee told me it's a hand fed 2 month old baby.
Anyway so I took it home and then I noticed that it's right foot doesn't have a good grip or something and also sometimes bites it's nails.
Here are some photos maybe they help.

any ideas?
Thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Unfortunately pet store budgies usually don't have the best life before we bring them home. It's hard to say what's wrong with the foot, but it doesn't look like it's too bad.

Like all new budgies, you should book an appointment with the vet for a full check up.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Will he perch on your finger? Move your hand around a little to shift his balance. You should be able to judge if there's weakness in his grip.
First pic right foot gripping, second pic left foot gripping?

apolloaer

Moving in
yeah he does perch on my fingers and won't lose his balance too much, but sometimes he will fall from the cage perches to the cage floor and panics until he gets on his feet again

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm agreed with PoukieBear. Arrange an initial appointment with a vet and don't forget to bring this to their attention.
If the perch he's falling from is as thin as that stand he's on there's no wonder he falls.
He's also older than 2 months, more like 3. If you're not too attached to him take him back to the shop.
@PoukieBear, take another look at the cere in pic 2. Could he be a SHE? Or is it just my tired eyes?

Last edited:

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, he could be a she. but the pic isn't the greatest.
If you could post a pic in natural lighting, we can tell for sure.