• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foot issue, ideas?

CharityRose

Sitting on the front steps
Finally an open canary forum! Found myself today with a new house guest, possibly permanently, when this little yellow canary hopped up on my shoe while I was doing some sanding. Took some time, but managed to get him/her inside and in a spare hospital cage I've kept on hand. Little guy has been obviously picked on as the back of his head has been thoroughly plucked, and nails are horribly overgrown. However, while trying to get the band information, I realized both feet has what almost looked like multiple nail bits growing on top of each toe. I've never seen this in any of my previous birds, so no clue what I'm looking at here. Any ideas? Band indicates this little guy is about 4 years old (2014). Otherwise, eating and drinking fine, moving around without an apparent issue. If no one in my area comes forward missing a bird, I'm looking at this little one likely becoming a permanent flock member and getting a quick vet check at some point in the near future

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh wow, I've never seen that!

@finchly maybe?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
nvm , she already responded to your duplicate thread :)

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
My wife used to have several Canaries and a couple of her rescues had scaly toes. Vet cleand them up and applied some kind of ointment. What ever the vet did and proper nutrition after rescuing seemed to prevent it from coming back.

CharityRose

Sitting on the front steps
Yep!
I hope you get the chance to go to the vet soon!
POOR BABY :sad4: Good thing he found you though! How's he doing, if you dont mind me asking?
He's doing quite good actually, was singing away this morning right up until I come downstairs. Going to be some time gaining trust, I was afterall the evil big thing that chased him around first outside then inside yesterday lol. Other than the plummage and feet, he appears quite healthy. I've been in contact with the avian vets office via FB, I call on Tuesday to book an appointment as soon as Dr. V gets back from her vacation. $125 for first time visit not including any treatment...its gone up quite a bit since I last had a new little one to bring in the first time! No word on possible owners, but not sure I'd give him back considering the same of the poor thing..... My Quaker parrot this morning was trying to imitate the Canary's song.....within a week I should have the sounds of 2 of them here lmao

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
He's doing quite good actually, was singing away this morning right up until I come downstairs. Going to be some time gaining trust, I was afterall the evil big thing that chased him around first outside then inside yesterday lol. Other than the plummage and feet, he appears quite healthy. I've been in contact with the avian vets office via FB, I call on Tuesday to book an appointment as soon as Dr. V gets back from her vacation. $125 for first time visit not including any treatment...its gone up quite a bit since I last had a new little one to bring in the first time! No word on possible owners, but not sure I'd give him back considering the same of the poor thing..... My Quaker parrot this morning was trying to imitate the Canary's song.....within a week I should have the sounds of 2 of them here lmao
Yay! a singing canary is a good sign:bliss: plus, it means he feels safe enough to claim his new place! I bet he'll learn to trust you in no time--and it will accelerate once he is no longer quarantined and is free flying. :)

That sounds about the same cost as my canary's first vet check up (though I'm in the US). Peeps also got 2 treatments of Ivermectin as a precaution since he's never been treated for mites before. I hope the visit goes well!!

You should post a video of them doing a duet lol :D I can't wait for more good news!!!:loveshower: