• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foot exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Because Java is inactive, he spends most of his day on his platform. Majority of the time, his foot is flat and he doesn't have to grip a perch because his sleep perch is padded. My question is: is it detrimental for his foot to remain flat most of the time? I'm trying to figure out ways to exercise his range of motion without always having to remove him from the cage. Sorry if this is confusing to understand but it's been in the back of my mind for a few weeks. Even though all of his surfaces are padded, he doesn't have anything to grip because his grip is weak. Throughout the day he'll hold onto the side of the cage, so I'm wondering if that counts as exercise so his toes don't atrophy.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Does he play with his feet? Like use his feet to eat and use them for foot toys? Or does he grip larger toys he's playing on?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does he play with his feet? Like use his feet to eat and use them for foot toys? Or does he grip larger toys he's playing on?
He doesn't use his foot at all. He won't even scratch his head unless I'm holding him on his back. He keeps his face in the bowl like a budgie. When he does play with toys, he uses his beak, and if he drops something he doesn't go after it

Reactions: Jas

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Awww poor java.

I remember when I couldn't use my leg and didn't use it for 18 months. I completely forgot how to use my leg and it was super sensitive, which meant it hurt to touch the floor. Plus I had no muscle mass.

Hydrotherapy helped a lot, the warm water eased the pain. You could maybe use a shallow dish with warm water and get him to walk across for a treat.

Or if he'll let you, you could gently move his foot and toes, sort of like physiotherapy for birds, so it doesn't go stiff.

Hope someone has some experience or knows what to do.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww poor java.

I remember when I couldn't use my leg and didn't use it for 18 months. I completely forgot how to use my leg and it was super sensitive, which meant it hurt to touch the floor. Plus I had no muscle mass.

Hydrotherapy helped a lot, the warm water eased the pain. You could maybe use a shallow dish with warm water and get him to walk across for a treat.

Or if he'll let you, you could gently move his foot and toes, sort of like physiotherapy for birds, so it doesn't go stiff.

Hope someone has some experience or knows what to do.
I've tried hydrotherapy and he completely freaks out. The most I've been able to do was lay him on his back and play with his toes, but I was hoping to encourage him to exercise on his own.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Hmm is there anyone in your area that makes custom perches for disabled birds?

Theres one in the UK that does, they ship to USA, though I don't think shipping is cheap. Its called the natural bird company. They do flat perches but like normal ones so java may have to grab the end but wouldn't feel unbalanced... I'll show you a picture I'm bad at explaining.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
It's for the budgies so it's small but they like,its wavey so it varies in diameter. Busbee uses it well and has a good grip (he's got a missing toe).

The hole in the middle is a skewer insert. (it's also landscape, I don't know how to make it portrait) IMG-20190111-WA0002.jpeg

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's for the budgies so it's small but they like,its wavey so it varies in diameter. Busbee uses it well and has a good grip (he's got a missing toe).

The hole in the middle is a skewer insert. (it's also landscape, I don't know how to make it portrait) View attachment 294123
Thank you. I'm checking out the website now. Java has varying perches, he just won't use them because he's afraid of exploring his cage. Only recently did I coax him into sitting on the bottom of his cage without having a fit. Even now, I have to put him down there or else he avoids the area. There's a flat platform under some fleece for solid ground but I'm hoping that one day I won't have to place him in different parts of his cage for him to use it. Other than his sleep perch, he stays in the same spot all day. I'm hoping that by getting his prosthetic, he'll take to it and learn to walk again. It's going to be a long process since he's so inactive and skittish.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Aww bless him, I bet he has no confidence.

Hes only got one leg? No wonder bless him.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww bless him, I bet he has no confidence.

Hes only got one leg? No wonder bless him.
Yeah, at some point in his past, he was attacked by a raccoon and lost his left leg while his remaining leg is locked at a 90 degree angle because of tendon entrapment and he can only use 3 of his toes. He also wasn't allowed to fledge so he doesn't know how to fly. He's been through a lot, but we're working on it.
Also, I emailed the website and I'm waiting to hear back. I LOVE their selection already!

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Awwwww no, bless him and you. It so sweet for what you are doing and have already done!

I accidentally found them one day and loved their perches and they also sell balsa.

Karen is super nice lady, and has clear love for birds, she worked so hard on my order bless her! It's 20:25 in the UK atm so you might not get a response tonight.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwwww no, bless him and you. It so sweet for what you are doing and have already done!

I accidentally found them one day and loved their perches and they also sell balsa.

Karen is super nice lady, and has clear love for birds, she worked so hard on my order bless her! It's 20:25 in the UK atm so you might not get a response tonight.
Thank you. I'd be lost without him in my life. He's such a joy, even when he's being a brat.
I didn't know the UK was that far ahead of where I am. I'm in TN, USA and it's 14:26.
I've bookmarked the website and will definitely be using their products :heart::)

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Awwwww :heart: that's precious.

Wow... I didn't know either.

They do some pretty unique work!

Status
Not open for further replies.