1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foods that resemble seeds?

Discussion in 'Healthy Highway' started by Linearis, 10/2/18.

1. Linearis

Linearis Strolling the yard

Success! My parrotlet likes pepper seeds...! However she won't eat most veggies/fruits I give her. :( So I'm wondering what other foods I could give her that are similar? I don't want to feed her sprouts because I'm too paranoid they'll become contaminated (I know it's a small chance and you can add acv to reduce the chances but... I know already I'm going to worry endlessly), but I really want her to eat more fresh foods, including carbs like I was thinking quinoa and couscous because I think they have sort of seed-like appearances too... anyone know of anything else? They don't have to be veggies or fruits, but I do want her to eat more of those especially... So far she just eats Kale, romaine lettuce, pepper seeds, and -sometimes- carrots... I think? It's hard to tell if she's eating or just playing with stuff like carrots and broccoli. :/

Also do pepper seeds contain good stuff for parrots...? Like nutrient-wise. @_@

SquawksNibbles and sunnysmom like this.
  2. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
  3. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
    If you chop the tops of broccoli in little pieces, they look like seeds.

SquawksNibbles likes this.
  4. Linearis

Yeah I tried that but she isn't a huge fan unfortunately. :(

5. Jas

Jas Rollerblading along the road

Jasmine
    If you soak seeds properly and don't keep them for more than 5 days theyre safe. (plus super easy to smell if they are a bit funny).

If you don't want to sprout you could soak for 24 hours which are more nutritious than dry seed.

You could try peas, sugar snap peas can be small and are easy to depod. Brown rice, lentils, chickpeas, herbs like basil and mint, cauliflower, birdie bread would be a good idea.

Or you could put the veggies in a blender so they're super small pieces.

6. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    Throw everything into a food processor until it's tiny pieces?

Shezbug and SquawksNibbles like this.
  7. Linearis

Naw for some reason she hates chop (least in her bowl, I should try in a plate because lately that's how I present her veggies and she responds better), I think she prefers to identify what it is she's eating.

She had a mini-breakthrough Yesterday though.. actually ate some banana. Thanks for the replies everyone.

SquawksNibbles and sunnysmom like this.
  8. SquawksNibbles

SquawksNibbles Rollerblading along the road

Kiera
    That’s great that she tried banana! Any other progress? It can take a while for birds to accept new foods, but hopefully she’ll come around soon.

Maybe if you sit down and eat some vegetables in front of her she may respond better? You can get a plate and put several different vegetables and fresh foods on there. You can eat some yourself and act like you are loving it. She may become curious. Even my birds, who are not completely bonded to humans but more to each other, will almost immediately become curious if I use two fingers and ‘peck’ at some food I want them to eat.

The first vegetable my guys ever tried was broccoli. What helped a lot was the fact that the broccoli was chopped super fine and looked a lot like little green seeds. I’ve continued having success with them trying new vegetables and fresh foods by throwing it all in a food processor in order to get it into tiny pieces. If she doesn’t like ‘chop,’ with a bunch of different foods mixed together, you could always throw one type of food in the food processor and offer it. Even if she accepts one food it will be a great success. :)

Tiel Feathers, Linearis and Shezbug like this.
  9. Linearis

Naw so far no other progress. I try to look interested in veggies but maybe she's not buying it. xD

10. Vera

Vera Sprinting down the street

Vera
    My parrotlet also refuses chop.it is too wet for her taste. I habg veggies on a skewer.she plays with it and nibbles from it.
    Favorites are carrot,broccoli,chili pepper and brussel sprouts.

I also sprout for her. She eats sprouted grains and legumes daily.

SquawksNibbles and Tiel Feathers like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)