• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Food Management VS Weight Management

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
I just found this really great video and paper that discusses food versus weight management. I personally have always used the principals outlined in this video/paper with my macaws for a little over a year now but I still learned some neat things about animal training in general particularly when it was discussing wild animals instead of pet parrots.

Here's the video.

Here's the full paper.
http://www.goodbirdinc.com/goodbirdinc.com/pdf/Heidenreich_ Weight Management.pdf

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for sharing

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
No problem! I was originally taught to use weight management for flight/other training for my GW but I was a little too lazy to count pellets, chart weights, etc and thought perhaps I was wrong for not doing so....but yet my bird still happily flew and did behaviors for me. That made me decide to continue ignoring the scale and training with her based on how she felt right then and there for her most favorite goodies or a chance to wait for the treat. I was so glad to discover that I wasn't wrong about that working! My girl gets to pig out AND have fun/learn with me.
:loveshower: