• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food for Jorge

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Just fixed up a small plate of food for Jorge. It’s nothing big and great, and I’m sure it’s not everything he should be having in one meal. But... I figured it’d be better than that pet store hermit crab food full of chemicals and stuff.
B880C3EB-0A5C-439E-B88C-011B446AE32C.jpeg
I have no idea if they are like parrots to where they don’t accept new foods right away. So I jus threw a little bit of the other hermit crab food in there just in case. I really hope he doesn’t have to eat it, though. I may be doing this completely wrong so somebody please let me know if I am! Just trying to give Jorge some variety of good foods.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We did something like that for my nephew's hisser. Not that there's commercial cockroach food, but we always tried to offer a variety of fresh foods with a few pieces of dog kibble in the mix. And always some carrot -his favorite. :xflove:

Pics of Jorge?

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You are such a caring crab keeper, lol. I love how much commitment you have to your duties as a carer of critters :fairy3:

We did something like that for my nephew's hisser. Not that there's commercial cockroach food, but we always tried to offer a variety of fresh foods with a few pieces of dog kibble in the mix. And always some carrot -his favorite. :xflove:

Pics of George?

Yeah, like @faislaq said. Pics of Jorge?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She really is awesome at it! Kiera, you should be a nutritionist for the zoo!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera

:) Yeah, I really wish he had been eating all sorts of fresh foods before now. Hermit crabs apparently really love oak leaves and bark. We have two tall oak trees in our backyard, and many more surrounding our house. So I crushed up some of the leaves and bark and put it in there, along with other stuff. :)

You are such a caring crab keeper, lol. I love how much commitment you have to your duties as a carer of critters :fairy3:

Thank you! :heart:

Pics of Jorge?

Yeah, like @faislaq said. Pics of Jorge?

Jorge is a little shy guy so I haven’t really been able to get many good pictures of him. I posted this one before, but I’ll leave it here, too.
4199706C-2589-46C9-AACE-64E6FBC9F303.jpeg
I know it’s not a good shot, but this was taken right after I put leaves in his tank for the first time. He went over to them pretty quickly, so I hope he likes them.

I can try to get some more pictures tomorrow, as it’s late here.

She really is awesome at it! Kiera, you should be a nutritionist for the zoo!

Hehe, thanks. :) And hey, that sounds like an interesting job!

My sister was asking me what I wanted for Christmas. I told her, and not jokingly, stuff for Jorge. She didn’t take me seriously, I guess.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow really? Maybe tell her you are totally serious and how much it may help you out with it all. I told everyone I did not care what I got for Christmas as long as it was for me and Burt......I dropped the names of all the stores I really like to use, made it clear I needed new gram scales etc. This year I have all things that are for Burt (and me, lol) and everyone said this has been the easiest christmas for them in regards to shopping for my present. I never know what to say when I am asked what I want as I do not know their budget and I feel rude asking for things for me, I have no issues asking for extra things though if they are for Burt hehehe.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Hermit crabs apparently really love oak leaves and bark.
I never knew this; how interesting!

As for gifts, just ask for a gift certificate or gift card to your favorite pet store. Most folks seem to think that's an acceptable present.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Wow really? Maybe tell her you are totally serious and how much it may help you out with it all. I told everyone I did not care what I got for Christmas as long as it was for me and Burt......I dropped the names of all the stores I really like to use, made it clear I needed new gram scales etc. This year I have all things that are for Burt (and me, lol) and everyone said this has been the easiest christmas for them in regards to shopping for my present. I never know what to say when I am asked what I want as I do not know their budget and I feel rude asking for things for me, I have no issues asking for extra things though if they are for Burt hehehe.

I’ll tell my sister that’s I really wasn’t joking. :D I hope Burt will enjoy his presents, though! :heart:

I never knew this; how interesting!

As for gifts, just ask for a gift certificate or gift card to your favorite pet store. Most folks seem to think that's an acceptable present.

Great idea! I’ll definitely mention that. :)

Also, I just walked into the room to find Jorge sitting in his food bowl, peeking out of his shell a bit! He actually didn’t get scared, and he let me take a few pictures!
778799B6-B3DA-4591-B2BA-B2122FA008E7.jpeg

022CBE0A-2725-4AEB-B04E-610454AE58B0.jpeg

Last edited:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Also, if any hermit crab people see this, please let me know if I should change anything, like I'm not sure if I'm giving Jorge too many leaves. There are small oak branches with leaves on them in his tank, and then I crushed up some leaves and put those in the food dish along with other foods. I notice that he hasn't been munching on the sticks and leaves lying around his cage, but instead enjoys using them as cover and to hang out under. But I've caught him in the food bowl twice now, hopefully eating.