• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food for Eclectus

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
The jar will limit how much you can do and you mention room.
With using these strainers I can make 3lb every four days, in each of them, if I need. And they do not take up much room on the bench or fridge. I use the jar for the soaking and the bowls and strainers for the easy rinsing and draining. The mix you see here is just a commercial and very basic local mix. Not my own

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I've been told that pomegranate, passionfruit and red papya are loved by eclectus and that they can eat the fruit including seeds.

Does anyone know if lychee pips are ok? I know of many that give the whole lychee to their birds. My boy loves peeling them to get to flesh. I currently remove pip and leave him with the rest.

Thoughts please?

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
My boys loooooove pommies! I just break them into pieces and give them a chunk.

Here is a former post of mine on what I feed my guys :) I do sprout sometimes but I'm bad about remembering them so I usually only do it when I'm home for a few days at a time! I have an EasySprout as well as a jar/lid like the one you linked above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wanted to post diet info in a separate space here - mainly because it's so important for ekkies. This site - diets
is very comprehensive and I think very good. Go through the links on the left and take time to read it all. You will hear opinions from both ends of the spectrum and everywhere in between about what is right and good. As I mentioned before, do your homework ;)

More great info here - Psittacine Cuisine

My boys get all fresh and homemade food with the exception of some "store-bought" mixes. Those mixes are offered in small amounts - think side dishes or treats, not main course:
  • Higgins Worldly Cuisines
  • Dr. Harvey's Veg to Bowl
  • Dr. Harvey's What's Cookin'
  • Phoenix Foraging Unpellet Mix (excellent stuff!)
  • Volkman Eclectus Seed Mix (on occasion, not daily)
  • Nutriberries as special treats
Stuff I make:
  • Bird Bread (lots of recipes out there!)
  • Sweet Potato Puffs (Cook sweet potato mixed with chopped veggies and made into little balls, rolled in coconut. Freeze and defrost as needed)
  • Chop... details below.
  • They are always offered fresh greens (kale, spinach, etc. whatever I bought that week) and veggies (usually what I find in season and organic when possible). They're not really crazy about fruit unless I'M eating it. LOL Then they want some - they'll usually try banana, apple, cantaloupe, berries. I don't typically put fruit in their bowls because they always toss it out.
Ok, about the CHOP. Chop day is a big production at my house - and it's just what it sounds like - a bunch of chopped stuff. :) But I make it by the sink-full then freeze it in smaller portions for defrosting as needed. They get this for dinner daily. I mix it with rehydrated Goldenfeast Bean Supreme but you can serve chop all by itself, too. Basically it contains the following:
  • Variety of cooked beans - Volkman Soak & Simmer is a good blend or sometimes I just use a variety from the grocery store (black, kidney, garbanzo, pinto, etc.). They should be fully cooked!
  • Variety of cooked grains - brown rice, millet, barley, quinoa, buckwheat, etc.
  • Chopped/diced/shredded Seasonal veggies, organic when possible - you can go crazy here. Staples in my chop are carrots, bell peppers, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash. Sometimes I add hot peppers, cabbage, broccoli, whatever looks good at the market!
Hope that helps you on the diet stuff! As for pellets, if they ate them in their previous home, you can still offer them a good pellet. Choose one that is NOT colored or artificially fortified. TOPs is a good one. Goldenfeast Golden'obles is also good. I have offered Harrisons Adult Lifetime on occasion but they just don't tend to eat it much so it goes to waste. It is fortified so beware of toe tapping and wing flipping... not all ekkies TT/WF but it's common with fortified pellets if they are susceptible to it.

If you have trouble getting them to try fresh/homemade food, eat some yourself, make a big deal about how yummy it is, etc. They'll watch you! You can also check out my blog that is all about parrot-safe human dishes to share with your fiddies! :) It's at Beak Bites!

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My boys loooooove pommies! I just break them into pieces and give them a chunk.

Here is a former post of mine on what I feed my guys :) I do sprout sometimes but I'm bad about remembering them so I usually only do it when I'm home for a few days at a time! I have an EasySprout as well as a jar/lid like the one you linked above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wanted to post diet info in a separate space here - mainly because it's so important for ekkies. This site - diets
is very comprehensive and I think very good. Go through the links on the left and take time to read it all. You will hear opinions from both ends of the spectrum and everywhere in between about what is right and good. As I mentioned before, do your homework ;)

More great info here - Psittacine Cuisine

My boys get all fresh and homemade food with the exception of some "store-bought" mixes. Those mixes are offered in small amounts - think side dishes or treats, not main course:
  • Higgins Worldly Cuisines
  • Dr. Harvey's Veg to Bowl
  • Dr. Harvey's What's Cookin'
  • Phoenix Foraging Unpellet Mix (excellent stuff!)
  • Volkman Eclectus Seed Mix (on occasion, not daily)
  • Nutriberries as special treats
Stuff I make:
  • Bird Bread (lots of recipes out there!)
  • Sweet Potato Puffs (Cook sweet potato mixed with chopped veggies and made into little balls, rolled in coconut. Freeze and defrost as needed)
  • Chop... details below.
  • They are always offered fresh greens (kale, spinach, etc. whatever I bought that week) and veggies (usually what I find in season and organic when possible). They're not really crazy about fruit unless I'M eating it. LOL Then they want some - they'll usually try banana, apple, cantaloupe, berries. I don't typically put fruit in their bowls because they always toss it out.
Ok, about the CHOP. Chop day is a big production at my house - and it's just what it sounds like - a bunch of chopped stuff. :) But I make it by the sink-full then freeze it in smaller portions for defrosting as needed. They get this for dinner daily. I mix it with rehydrated Goldenfeast Bean Supreme but you can serve chop all by itself, too. Basically it contains the following:
  • Variety of cooked beans - Volkman Soak & Simmer is a good blend or sometimes I just use a variety from the grocery store (black, kidney, garbanzo, pinto, etc.). They should be fully cooked!
  • Variety of cooked grains - brown rice, millet, barley, quinoa, buckwheat, etc.
  • Chopped/diced/shredded Seasonal veggies, organic when possible - you can go crazy here. Staples in my chop are carrots, bell peppers, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash. Sometimes I add hot peppers, cabbage, broccoli, whatever looks good at the market!
Hope that helps you on the diet stuff! As for pellets, if they ate them in their previous home, you can still offer them a good pellet. Choose one that is NOT colored or artificially fortified. TOPs is a good one. Goldenfeast Golden'obles is also good. I have offered Harrisons Adult Lifetime on occasion but they just don't tend to eat it much so it goes to waste. It is fortified so beware of toe tapping and wing flipping... not all ekkies TT/WF but it's common with fortified pellets if they are susceptible to it.

If you have trouble getting them to try fresh/homemade food, eat some yourself, make a big deal about how yummy it is, etc. They'll watch you! You can also check out my blog that is all about parrot-safe human dishes to share with your fiddies! :) It's at Beak Bites!
Wow!! Thank you so much for all your info.

I actually printed off all the info about Eckies from the first site you suggested!

My Echo is part dinosaur and part vulture. He eats anything and everything. In fact he could have just eaten and if I should happen to be going in the kitchen direction hes right behind me. He also flies in if he hears the pantry open.

Currently he gets a chop mix for bfast and again dinner. I have different varieties frozen so he gets loaks of choice. I then also add a little of what we have for dinner. He has sunflower seeds which I'm weaning im down. Breeder had him on this plus some veggies. He gets a few berries or some fruit at each meal and then gets a skewer with fruit/vegetable that he nibbles on in between meals. I also sprout seeds which he loves. Occasionally with treats he gets plain crackers nuts and maybe tiny bit of toast crust. On our daily walk we pick native branches, weeds and flowers that I know are safe. He also has foraging toys.

He over did it with a chilli and got very minor toe tapping that I put down to very minor allergy. I didnt feed for a while and now he gets some occasionally in chop mix with no problems. Vet insisted he be put on pellets so I tried that reluctantly. After 3 days he was toe tapping and wing flipping. This was very distressing and he kept calling out to me. This happened while we were also camping so not sure if maybe a combination of over eating and not enough excercise exacerbated that. Anyway pellets in bin and toe tapping resolved.

I like the idea of baking him stuff so will definitely try that next!!! Guarantee he will eat it!

Thank you again.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Myself and birds love lychees . I checked out for seeds being toxic, they are not.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I feed 0- man made pellets. I only feed fresh fruits, veggies then beans, nuts and seed mixes. I make mash, sprouts and soaks.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Average morning feed out for the 4 Eccy's

Afternoons vary, from zero, to 2x bowls of mixed foods. And sometimes treats, around early afternoon.
I am convinced real food diets beat fabricated foods, like pellets any day, and the proof is when you see birds like this.
Sophie as she looks now.

Last edited:

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Sophie as she was when I took her in at the age of 12mths. May 2015