• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same as me, but I use the BirdTricks Seasonal Feeding System for my GCC breakfast... and then for dinnertime is when I have a problem. I know the birds should always get fruit and veg (which he does everyday!) and his pellets (TOPS)... but for dinner I am not sure. I adopted him from another owner who got him from PetSmart, and she didn't know his history. The starter food she gave me was the Zupreem Nut Blend and the Zupreem Pasta Blend. Now, I know this is all sugar so I stopped using that... but what do I use in substitute? Am I SUPPOSED to feed Rico 2x a day? I work 8 hour shifts so I give him enough (plus foraging food) to last him until I come home. When I come home, I usually give him fruit (depending on the day it could be strawberries, blueberries, grapes [very rare], apples [rare] or blackberries [his favorite]), and then I used to give him Zupreem but I don't want to give him junk food! It's full of sugar and other added things that have absolutely NO nutritional value. Right now because I am not sure what to do I am on Kaytee's Fiesta Max Conure Food mix... but even this is millet and wheat. I want to find a feed that is both good for him and that he will eat. He's kinda picky, but he's open to new foods.

Please educate me! I tried to do my own research but I have conflicting info.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Zupreem is not all sugar. I asked and they said it is less than 3% of the recipe.

My bird thrives on Zupreem.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As for your actual question, you could just give more TOPS in the evening if that's the pellet you're using. Mine get fed twice a day; veggies and grains in the morning and pellets are refilled before bed. They always have pellets available though. I also fed very little fruit and seed.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
You could try Harrisons brand and see if he likes that. There is also TOPS (Totally Organic Pellets) but someone recently pointed out to me it may not have enough vitamin D. You could mix it with the old Zupreme for a while until he's switched over. I looked and you're right, the Zupreem PastaBlend has Sugar as one of the first ingredients. I'm surprised. Zupreme Naturals doesn't have any dyes, but it still has sugar near the top of the ingredient list. I'd say mix things up for a while until he gets used to eating a variety of things.

I was just looking at the BirdTricks food right before I saw your post and the ingredients look great - compare them to TOPS - but they're not fortified with any vitamins.

I have a similar question though - I've always fed a mix of Harrisons (great ingredients, but I can't find how much Vitamin D is in it) and TOPS (which I love for them, and they love, but not enough Vitamin D).

If they get enough sunshine it may not be too much of a problem...

Edit: Just saw @Mizzely s post - if they say it's only 3% of the pellet when it is listed so high in the ingredients list, I guess that just means it's very heavy on the first few ingredients (corn, wheat, soy, etc) and then the veggies and fruits listed would be less than 3% of what's in it.

Last edited:

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
You could try Harrisons brand and see if he likes that. There is also TOPS (Totally Organic Pellets) but someone recently pointed out to me it may not have enough vitamin D. You could mix it with the old Zupreme for a while until he's switched over. I looked and you're right, the Zupreem PastaBlend has Sugar as one of the first ingredients. I'm surprised. Zupreme Naturals doesn't have any dyes, but it still has sugar near the top of the ingredient list. I'd say mix things up for a while until he gets used to eating a variety of things.

I was just looking at the BirdTricks food right before I saw your post and the ingredients look great - compare them to TOPS - but they're not fortified with any vitamins.

I have a similar question though - I've always fed a mix of Harrisons (great ingredients, but I can't find how much Vitamin D is in it) and TOPS (which I love for them, and they love, but not enough Vitamin D).

If they get enough sunshine it may not be too much of a problem...

Edit: Just saw @Mizzely s post - if they say it's only 3% of the pellet when it is listed so high in the ingredients list, I guess that just means it's very heavy on the first few ingredients (corn, wheat, soy, etc) and then the veggies and fruits listed would be less than 3% of what's in it.
oof yeah even if it is less than a certain percentile, i would not like the fillers (corn, wheat, soy etc). but im definitely going to take a look at some other brands... he's so picky!! ill transition him to fruit and some pellets after dinner then ;)

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I feed fruit mainly as treats. With the exception of dark berries which I think are good every day.

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
I feed fruit mainly as treats. With the exception of dark berries which I think are good every day.
totally! rico gets a healthy serving of blueberries and blackberries everyday. he can't wait for me to chop them so he just steals them XD

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
That’s awesome! Parrot diet is one of my favorite topics. Lol!
You should also check out the “Feathered Food Court” forum. Lots of good thoughts and ideas there. Hard to remember everything so I’m often revisiting. There’s a thread there titled something like “What is your bird eating today?” and people post pics, etc. It can give some good ideas.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
There is always so much diet information, and I keep reading and researching and trying my best !!

All my birds get veg morning and afternoon, I use fresh with minimal cutting up, even the Budgies do fine with this..I always have greens as one of my offerings, and almost always peppers, the rest are whatever. Currently I baked a sweet potato, so that will be used till gone same with the bag of green beans I have. Fruits seem to be recommended as only 10% of daily diet . I have fresh cherry and raspberry on hs d right now .

Pellets, my first was fussy , so I do a rotating or mix of different brands , zoo preem is not my favorite, but it is one of the ones I offer as they all came to me eating it already ..oven baked bites is a real favorite here, even the Budgies eat it, and I think has decent ingredients so it's in the mix ..

When they come out of cage in the morning and all day out here . Pellets are always available, the veg morning and afternoon. As well as boiled /scrambled eggs twice a week , and sharing any parrot friendly foods from my meals .

Back in cage in the evening, pellets always available, plus seed mix , and I usually give them a small wedge of some veg.

I don't know if I am getting it right. But they have lush gorgeous radiant feathers, molts are regular and quick , and they look just as lush and perfect during molts , you only know because of the feathers falling and seeing pins her and there .

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not a food rec, but one thing I've learned with offering a picky bird new food is to make sure I'm weighing them every week, in the morning after they poop but before they eat. With my untame guy, I weighed the food before/after he ate (including any he'd thrown out of the bowl) - just precautions to make sure they are eating enough during the transition :)

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
Not a food rec, but one thing I've learned with offering a picky bird new food is to make sure I'm weighing them every week, in the morning after they poop but before they eat. With my untame guy, I weighed the food before/after he ate (including any he'd thrown out of the bowl) - just precautions to make sure they are eating enough during the transition :)
absolutely! :D so far he's on track and is a happy little bird. though i could do with less blackberry poops.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
My first beet poop sighting was memorable too :laugh:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)