• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food conversion

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I was given two budgies by my mom for Christmas and they’re on seed. I don’t like feeding seed. So I’m trying to convert them to pellets and chop and they don’t eat chop or pellets….

I’m planning to bake some ‘cookies’ for the flock. Usually pellets that I add veggies and fruit to. But should I add some of their seed to a bit?

or I could order the fruit flavored zupreem?

This happened the day before my uncle passed.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
:sadhug2:
can’t answer now but hope you feel better and I wish peace to your family.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yes I feel you should offer them seed, budgies generally do not do the best on an all pellet diet.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Indeed. Pellets are great but a pellet only diet isn’t right for these birds. Pellets AND seeds AND chop is how I’d do.

Burd bread with seeds sounds great. My Quaker enjoys an avicake (Lafeber’s) every day. Fruit flavored zupreem will make your birds poop cause stains. It’s said to be pretty sugary. But I fed my Quaker natural Zupreem for many years and I think is an ok brand especially if only part of the diet.

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Yes. I’m using a trio diet. But all they eat are seeds. I want them to do all three so they’ll live better lives. And the only pieces I’ve seen eaten are all millet.

Jxdeeyy

Strolling the yard
Yes. I’m using a trio diet. But all they eat are seeds. I want them to do all three so they’ll live better lives. And the only pieces I’ve seen eaten are all millet.
If there are lots of seeds always available, they’re probably more likely to stick to just eating those. I managed to convert my first 2 budgies by reducing the seed to pellet ratio slowly, until I saw them actually eating the pellets. Then only offered them pellets in their bowls and seeds as treats or fed by hand to encourage bonding.
I know some people in your case may also offer seeds at mealtimes, and in between have pellets available, so that they may become curious and try them when they get a bit peckish.
There are so many different ways to try, it’ll be a case of finding what is best for your birds.
As for getting them to try the chop, I used to leave a plate at the bottom of my cage for my birds to try, with some seed sprinkled on top, and they were always curious. You can do the same thing in bowls or wherever else.
Good luck! :)