• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Follow the leader

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Thanks, my grandfather used cedar to build his house and it's TOUGH! My first thought was cedar then I learned!

Most pine is okay. Certain pines have nasty sap! Down here even wild birds avoid bull pine. Pine pitch sticks are full of sap and can be used to start fires. If you use pine, I recommend baking it first.

Something else common here is Beau Dark sp. (Are you familiar with Beau Dark Balls?) We were always told to only use their wood collected in winter. I don't know why. It probably has to do with the sap settling for a better fire or fruiting. It makes for good perches.

Anyway, I order mine from Drs. Foster and Smith. (I think they were bought by PetSmart or PetCo or PetSense. You can get some great deals now.) @Mizzely probably knows.

I know what you mean about that nasty sap on some pine... a couple of boards on my back deck have that, and you better not step in it, as it will get your feet/shoes all sticky and it's so hard to get off!

Yes, I remember that Bois D'Arc wood! I had never seen this until my first home back in the 70's. I didn't remember it had balls, for some reason, but I sure do remember some has thorns.... ow! I think you're probably right on about the reason of only using in winter... I just remember that the wood is really tough to cut because it's so hard, and probably dense as all get out.

I love the idea @Mizzely had of putting the pedicure perch right by the food. Mine is not in a very popular spot, and I don't think they are getting the benefits. *Note to self: move that pedi-perch~!
I was going to mention something about Fergus' water dish - it's crazy the way he drinks water now, I think he doesn't wish to get his feet wet - he will be on the side of the cage and LEAN in to get water, rather than stepping on the perch on the bowl! Maybe he stepped on it once after I had just filled it, and got his dainty little feet wet?

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
They even eat attached to each other.
20180707_110033.jpg
Pics of them preening and cuddling will come. Today is cage cleaning day, so they just wanted to eat after.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
That's the one! (I knew my spelling was wrong!) It IS tough wood with spiney branches. Bois D'Arc Balls are BIG and made good outdoor bowling balls. :rofl: We didn't throw them at each other because the bruises were hard to explain. :rolleyes:
It makes good perches because it has such tough wood. My mother said to bake it then debark it before using it for perches.
Did y'all have pies and jelly from little Bubba Balls?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Did y'all have pies and jelly from little Bubba Balls?
Is that what you called the Bois D'Arc balls, bubba balls? Ha ha! No, I don't even remember that our Bois D'Arc tree had any balls, but I was in my 20's when I first knew what these trees were. I guess mine was like a weed tree (volunteer tree) that came up outside one of the windows, and I either got gored by one of those spikes, or stepped on one, I don't remember which. The spiny barbs surely were enough to make me remember the name of that tree though!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Sir: Oh noooooo, Daytona left the cage without me!!!
20180707_133659.jpg

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
No, Bubba Balls were like starchy LITTLE grapes while Bois D'Arc Balls were HUGE.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Daytona: Oh nooo, Sir is bathing without me! There must be a secret shortcut in. 20180707_142012.jpg
We'll just eat together to make it all better.
20180707_142933.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Stupid me. I don't understand "going the other way on each end." Do you mean from front to back? I'm just totally getting rid of those way too big dowels! What WAS she thinking???
I made sure they have flying space in their cage plus they are out in THEIR bedroom (cage door open for several hours, too, since they like playing on top). I'm trying to leave them in the cage they came with for a couple of weeks before exchanging it for one twice as deep. They don't seem the least bit interested in the GCC's cage.
Has anyone ever tried the

Wacky Wood Perches
by Drs. Foster and Smith?
Prevue Wacky Wood Perch | Natural Perches from DrsFosterSmith.com
These perches are on sale for a ridiculously low price and I've had luck buying there in the past.
Apologies, yes I meant from front to back. If you feel like theyre out a lot that may not matter to you.

I have a wacky wood perch and it’s a hit! Even the finches like it.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I know what you mean about that nasty sap on some pine... a couple of boards on my back deck have that, and you better not step in it, as it will get your feet/shoes all sticky and it's so hard to get off!
People around here use pitch (similar to pine tar) as glue. That sounds like what you're talking about. It's like sap that doesn't come off.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I had to change their AV appointment until Tuesday and invited a friend to go with me. HAHA

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Personally, after bathing they look so sweet and innocent. Wait, weren't you the two that broke my glasses and pooped all over me!?! Stop looking like babies!