• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flying not so high

eboger

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Elisha Boger
I purchased a male (Jellybean) and a female (Sprinkles) Lady Gloudian Finches on Monday. I have noticed that Sprinkles does not go to the highest perch and she flies into the bottom side of the cage (cage is a Vision cage with clear plastic at the bottom) from time to time. She interacts with Jellybean and is eating and drinking well. She can hop from the ladder on to the perch she gets on. Any idea why she might not be flying? Should I be concerned? Should I try to return her and get a different female? Any help is appreciated.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gouldians have always been “long” flyers for me. I’ve always had any pairs here in very large aviaries. Vision cages are weird- even the double large size is taller than it is wide and they’re space savers so they’re not deep. Add to that, the deep base can mean its hard to get up and out of the bottom. It might not be her health, it might be the cage.

But @finchly has more experience with them, maybe she’ll pop in.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I often find that birds coming from tiny cages can’t fly well. Give her time. And feed her a great diet