• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fly Free, little Buckbeak

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
... I've tried to write this post a few times. I think I'm still in disbelief.

On July 18th, in the early morning hours, Buckbeak passed away.

In my last update, we took him for yet another vet visit, but with a new vet. He got blood work, yet another x-ray and an abraxis chemistry reading... When she listened to his hear and chest she heard a murmur and also a weird clicking sound... In the x-ray, they saw what looked like an air pocket - they weren't sure if it was from him sucking in air from panting or if it was causing the panting. They attempted to do a cardio graphic reading of his heart, but they did not get a clear picture. They gave us four new medications, three of which needed to be taken twice a day by syringe. By the end of this vet visit, he was exhausted - it was the first time I had seen him get so clumsy from breathing heavy. I was about to pick up his medications and leave when I noticed a little blood in his stool, so I talk to the vet again and she said that a little bit of blood in his stool was normal after swabbing his vent, but she said I was welcome to wait in the waiting room before leaving (since I live an hour away). I ended up sitting in the waiting room for two hours waiting for his stool to be clear and for the sedation to wear off in order to ensure Buckbeak was okay. Then we finally drove home.

The first day home, after only two doses of medication, he seemed to be doing so much better. The panting stopped for about a 24 hour period. (I was even planning on waiting to write an update post here on the forum announcing how he was better). But then the panting came back and it never went away after that. We gave him his medications for the full prescribed 10 days and didn't see any improvement. The blood work had revealed that his white blood count had been low, meaning it was likely a tumor but they could not identify where based on the x-rays. By this point he had stopped singing - he only vocalized to fweep when he was upset about one of us leaving the room. He had stopped eating his chop and his favorite sweet potato mash too - he only really ate pellets and millet. By the very end of his life, I ended up having to hand feed him his pellets. There was talk about trying to get him a CT-scan, which, even with the CareCredit, would have completely depleted our savings at this time (I finally start work again in September), but we were trying to pull the money together; then I consulted with my primary vet, and she said that, one, the CT-scan and anesthesia would likely of killed Buckbeak given his condition and, two, it would likely only confirm what we already knew... With her advice, we decided the best thing to do was to make Buckbeak as comfortable as possible.

For the last week and a half of his life, Buckbeak only wanted to be with us. He insisted on sitting on one of our shoulders at any given time. Whenever one of us had to put him down for a minute to go to the bathroom or whatever (or to put him in his cage for five minutes for a water break), he always vocalized his protest. He would even fly (despite the fact that we tried to discouraged him from flying at this point) to the computer chair or the sofa and wait for us to come back to sit with him. When he was on our shoulder, he would nuzzle again our neck and press his beak behind our ear and I would rub his soft feathers with my cheek. I can't help but think that he knew he didn't have much more time, and all he wanted to do was express his love for us and to just be with us and seek comfort for us.

My fiance and I were both up very late (I'm not normally a night owl, but I have not slept very well for the past month). The birds were both in their cages and covered and fast asleep when we heard a flutter and thunk. We check on Buckbeak, and he was on the bottom of the cage, panting. I think my fiance and I both knew it was going to be soon... So we took him out and sat with him on the sofa.

Buckbeak spent his last moments in his favorite spot - on my fiance's shoulder. When he was took weak to perch by himself, I held him. He died in my hand while my fiance whistled to him.

We stayed up most of the night crying. The next morning we took him to get him cremated. We want to be able to keep him close, no matter where we go.

Fly free, little hippogriff bird. You taught me so much about trust and love - you changed my life with your love. You taught me what it means to be a part of a flock. I will miss you and your beautiful songs. We love you so much, Buckbeak. We will be holding you close in our heart - always.

precious.buckbeak.jpg

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
You taught me so much about trust and love - you changed my life with your love. You taught me what it means to be a part of a flock. I will miss you and your beautiful songs. We love you so much, Buckbeak. We will be holding you close in our heart - always.
You said that so beautifully.
His desire to be with you in his last days says how much he loves you too.
It's so hard, hugs to you both.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a gorgeous memorial this is. It is so heartbreaking to watch our little friends suffer so. Your love for Buckbeak is shining here, and is as brilliant as his plumage. I am so very very sorry. No words, you know? Huge hugs and prayers.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so sorry :( You did so much for him and made his last moments as good as any bird could wish for. My heart hurts for you because I know all to well the pain of loss that you are feeling.

:hug5:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No matter how hard we fight, sometimes we lose the fight. Buckbeak is gone, but never gone from your heart. Remember him every day, fondly.

Buckbeak, fly high and free without illness or pain. There are many of your AA friends there waiting for you.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am very sorry,

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I am so sorry for your loss!! :sadhug2::sadhug2:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Thank you all for the kind words. I'm in tears (again). It helps having this community here of people who understand. My family has tried to be sympathetic, but I don't think they fully understand. I am so grateful that I have my fiance to mourn with me. On the morning after Buckbeak passed away, my fiance said how he always thought we would have a few more years with Buckbeak... he said he always imagined that Buckbeak would meet our children and said he could so easily imagine Buckbeak singing to them.

I don't know how well Indy understands. I did show Buckbeak to him before we took him to get cremated.. Indy sort of freaked out. He would peer in the box, then dart away, then peer in the box again. Then he sat and sort of just stared at me. Since then though, he's acted mostly normal. Although he gets very upset when we have to leave the apartment, even to just drive to the store very quickly. He has never been an only bird, so I think Buckbeak's death has been hard on him in that sense. Every time I tear up or cry, though, Indy flies over to my head.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
They fly into our hearts and leave feather dust on our souls forever.....
Fly high and sweetly over that beautiful rainbow bridge little one.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry for your loss.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I don't know how well Indy understands. I did show Buckbeak to him before we took him to get cremated.. Indy sort of freaked out. He would peer in the box, then dart away, then peer in the box again. Then he sat and sort of just stared at me. Since then though, he's acted mostly normal. Although he gets very upset when we have to leave the apartment, even to just drive to the store very quickly. He has never been an only bird, so I think Buckbeak's death has been hard on him in that sense. Every time I tear up or cry, though, Indy flies over to my head.

I so do believe in showing them what has happened, as you did here.
Otherwise, they could just end up wondering for years!
I'm not sure how much of it they do understand, but I think Indy knows, I really do. Bless his heart - flying over you like that. Wow.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh no. I'm so sorry. I was really hoping that Buckbeak would get better. He was very lucky to have you.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
:sad7::sad7:So sorry for your loss, glad you were all together.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I am so sorry to read this he sure was a handsome guy. Remember he's never leave you as long as he lives in your heart.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh...this has left me in tears. I'm so, so sorry that you lost your little one. My heart goes out to you.:sorrow: