• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flowers for enrichment and foraging?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So lately I have been picking bird safe flowers for Burt to play with and check out and I have noticed he actually eats some parts of some of the flowers.
I did some reading and saw that a lot of times we forget to add flowers into the mix when giving our birds enrichment and foraging opportunities.
My mum happens to grow a fair few flowers that are on the safe list and as we have a worm farm the only fertilizer her plants get is from the worm castings (completely safe for the birds) so Burt gets a few of the flowers from our garden and also a few different ones from some of the native trees close to our house.
I think his favorite at the moment is the bottle brush flowers, he seems to love the feel of them and gently plays with them for hours. I have seen the native birds pick flowers from our garden and take off with them, just lately they have really been focusing on my Feijoa bush and taking a heap of the flowers. They have also been stealing all my unripe cherries but that happens every year lol.

Does anyone here offer flowers to their birds?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I haven't thought of that, but it sounds like a beautiful photo op.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Nah, just cyber-stalking Burt. Totally different thing. :heart: He's just too cute!

I wonder if there are nutritional benefits exclusive to the flowers or if they're just a fun & interesting texture? :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Nah, just cyber-stalking Burt. Totally different thing. :heart: He's just too cute!

I wonder if there are nutritional benefits exclusive to the flowers or if they're just a fun & interesting texture? :)

:rofl: I totally do the same thing with other peoples birds so I can fully appreciate you stalking Burt :D

From what I remember they (whoever they were?) believe there is some benefit nutritionally in some of the flowers because of how much and how often the birds will eat of some of them if given the opportunity. Some of the flowers I give Burt he spends a lot of time with and I am pretty sure he is eating little bits of some of them, they are all flowers that we can eat or that have been used with birds for years with no problems and the same for the wild birds. The one he seems the most interested in lately are the bottle brush flowers.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Try squash blossoms. Even my littles like them.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I do! They loooove it, and yes they can get added nutrition:) Not sure if all flowers have added benefits, but a lot of flowers and herbs are quite healthy! Dandelion is a great example:)

And... yes, any chance of a pic of cute Burt with flowers pretty please??:)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I do , hibiscus stems leaves and flowers I cut a branch and stick between the bars
We may need a photo illustration with your lovely models as well. ;)

I'd ask @TikiMyn for pics of her guys with flowers, but I feel she might be hard pressed to find dandelions this time of year. :p

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
We may need a photo illustration with your lovely models as well. ;)

I'd ask @TikiMyn for pics of her guys with flowers, but I feel she might be hard pressed to find dandelions this time of year. :p

I have to look in my files . Or go cut more and take new pictures … later, to lazy right now :ashamed3:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Try squash blossoms. Even my littles like them.
I will have to wait till they grow. I have been patiently waiting to be able to try him with the blossoms from the pumpkin and zucchini but they are no where near ready yet.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I would be swooning over pics of your gorgeous babies with flowers:faint: Just so you know;):heart:
OMG ...STOP ! I don't take to complements very well.
:ashamed3:
Besides, all birds are beautiful , each and every one have a unique beauty that is only their's.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Incredible! :shocking: Beautiful birds, flowers, room, everything! Truly an amazing setup. :thumbsup:
Nahw thank you so much!:ashamed1: The three of us would like to live in the jungle so we strive for that:lol:
What sweet happy babys you have , they look so happy and thriving, their in perfect feather. I love to offer natural elements to their habitat.
Thank you!! I love that too, for my rabbits I Made a habitat out of logs, very big three branches, natural foilage, a live bush etc. I loved that and am a but sad I don’t have that habitat anymore at the moment:rolleyes:

OMG ...STOP ! I don't take to complements very well.
:ashamed3:
Besides, all birds are beautiful , each and every one have a unique beauty that is only their's.
That is true!! You other two are totally gorgeous too, for example:laugh: I have yet to see a bird I wouldn’t call a beautiful baby as well:highfive:

Luna loves hanging out in the trees.
Her favorite are the citrus and fruit trees.
How wonderful!! May I ask how you take them out? I seem to remember you saying one of your fids flew, so I think they are not clipped? Do you free fly them?(that is something I think is beyond awesome:heart:)

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
I don’t free fly my flock, but I do bring them everywhere with me. I would love to free fly them but I clip.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I don’t free fly my flock, but I do bring them everywhere with me. I would love to free fly them but I clip.
Ah okay! I would love to free fly too, but that is a little too risky with my Teeny timy lovebirds:)