• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

floor coverings

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Looking for a more aesthetically pleasing way to cover the area of the floor underneath Shaylor's and Dexter's java tree play stand. Right now I have a tarp with paper on top of that, but it looks pretty ugly.

What do you use that looks better overall?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC has a tree stand that is mounted on a white board that wipes up extremely well. I can haul the tree outside and turn house on it too. It may be like a bathroom or kitchen paneling sheet.

I need something for around Secrets cage....that bird is just a mess.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When I had carpet I would just either use a plastic chair mat under the cages, or I have also used old sheets. Then I just shake them off outside and throw them in the wash.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
When I moved into our new apartment, I bought a vinyl mat from Home Depot for under the bird cagw, and it has worked so well!!! It looks nice, it's easy to clean, and it easily protects the floor. :)

Edit: I can get a picture of it in the morning, if you'd like. :D

Last edited:

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I've wondered about this. I have an old all weather trunk guard. It isn't old, I haven't used it. It is for our SUV and you can spill a gallon of water in it without leaking. I was wondering if should drag it into the house and put it under their play areas. Mine aren't happy until they've literally painted the walls and ceiling with their food. Washing strawberries off the ceiling wasn't fun.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have carpet and I use clear carpet runners. You can buy them per foot at Home Depot or Lowes.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have beautiful wooden floor that I don't want to hide so I use transparent oilcloth that is for tables.
Very easy to remove poop from even if they are dried.

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
I have two cotton throws (blankets) that I put under Dustys cage and playtree.....once it gets totally yuck I shake them out and pop them in the wash...being cotton they dry very quickly and are back in use quickly

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The floor in the birdroom is linoleum and washable, but dried poop can be quite stubborn. I place large puppy training pads around the edges of the cages to catch the poop and just throw them away when soiled. I also line the seed catchers attached to the cages with cut up and clipped onto pads to keep me from having to wash them as often.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I've seen in the stores bottom plastic that goes around the bottom of the cage, on the outside. Like a huge shower cap but for the bottom of the cages. My problem is that they go to the top and spill away from the cages. I've kept office floor plastic mats I've had Laying around. However, because it is on heavy carpet with super heavy padding (yes over our hardwood floors, don't get me started) and so everything gets wonky with unequal weight distribution.

@Laurul Feather Cat's idea is my favorite so far! Maybe I can find a cheap flooring so I can balance the flooring so it isn't so squishy.

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I haven't tried it yet, but I saw the suggestion to use a vinyl tablecloth on pinterest.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks everyone for your great recommendations! The problem I'm having is with regards to the play tree base. It's one of those java tree play stand basess. The clear mats are great for underneathit, but I'd like to find something to cover up the base that looks better than newsprint does. I guess I could try using a blanket. At least that won't get blown around during their wingercizing.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Yeah, I just vacuum and clean it every day right before they go to bed. We don't cover the base. Once a week, we will just take It outside wash with vinegar/warm water and put a hose on it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would use a Roll end/remnant of linoleum (very cheap or free at flooring place) and throw that down over the carpet/floor. Easily cleaned. Can be rolled up and taken outside to clean if necessary.