• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Floor Covering

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I have carpet in my room, which clearly isn't a very good mix with the mess they can make! So I was looking into some type of floor covering. I found this:

Amazon.com: Resilia - Clear Vinyl Plastic Floor Runner/Protector for Deep Pile Carpet - Non-Skid Decorative Pattern, (27 Inches Wide x 6 Feet Long): Home & Kitchen

Does this seem like something that can work for me? I would probably cut some to size to fit their play area and cage. Just want some opinions on it. It's pretty cheaper than what I would expect and looks like it could do the trick, but there wasn't that much of a description on it.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
i have the same problem the room i am converting into a bird room has carpet so i'm going to go over to lowes and get a piece of linolien the size of my room and lay it over the carpet

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've tried the linoleum and carpet runners and I hated them lol. They made more work for me then they helped.

Chair mats though are super nice!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I've used the office chair and hallway runners before and they worked great. You can sweep em off or clean them up a bunch of times and when they get beat up enough toss em and start over. If you don't care what the area looks like drop clothes might be good too as you can shake them off outside and if you have a big washer you can clean themike any other clothing or blankets like already said here. If I had the money and time I'd probably redo the floor in a designated bird area to something bird proof and easy to clean.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I use old bed sheets (pick them up from the op shop for very cheap), I use towels for smaller areas and for spots that I do not need to walk on or move things often I use a few big sheets of cardboard to cover the carpet. The huge cardboard boxes (opened up into a sheet) is the easiest for me to move and clean up when I do have to vac the carpet.
The plastic runners could work but I think there could be better and cheaper options out there for you like the drop sheets, second hand sheets from op shops etc.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe this will help;

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was thinking of carpet runners. Sams club had the cheapest I could find. Went to get them for a gift from the big guy & his elves & they were out. I cant use sheets because his sleep cage is not in it's permanent home yet. He's @ the bottom of a stairwell (main walkway) right now the runners cut to fit would be the safest.

:hug6: Rain

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I got rid of the carpet but I still use the small baby blankets around the cages. I picked them up at yard sales.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I use wool army blankets to cover the reciners and like that but Dobby is my first Maxi who can easily punch nice round holes in them. Nerd mostly left them alone and Lurch loved to just kneed them in his beak. I think maybe Dobby needs his pointy can opener filed down a bit. Luckily he has decided he won't use it to bite... :omg:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got rid of the carpet but I still use the small baby blankets around the cages. I picked them up at yard sales.
I'd love to get rid of the carpets but floor gets way to cold. Even w/ slippers. Plus I'd give it a go. But hubby wouldn't let me. I love the receiving blankets idea. That may work out better than the towels we've been using under the wood toy debris. I'll watch @ goodwill & salvation army we have a few around me of each. Thanks!I

:hug1: Rain

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'd love to get rid of the carpets but floor gets way to cold. Even w/ slippers. Plus I'd give it a go. But hubby wouldn't let me. I love the receiving blankets idea. That may work out better than the towels we've been using under the wood toy debris. I'll watch @ goodwill & salvation army we have a few around me of each. Thanks!I

:hug1: Rain
You can also look at children's resale shops.

The yard sales were fantastic buys. I think I may have paid $1 each.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Funny, all I use is newspaper. It's the easiest to pick up and throw away. I change it out about every second or third day and vacuum the carpet every weekend. That is the easiest for me. Anything else would need cleaning and I hate to do that.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Funny, all I use is newspaper. It's the easiest to pick up and throw away. I change it out about every second or third day and vacuum the carpet every weekend. That is the easiest for me. Anything else would need cleaning and I hate to do that.
I do use paper on my carpet for when he plays on his cage & overhangs while chewing on wood. He's potty trained so its only for wood & seed debris if we train or play together. I want the runners no matter what for under his cage in the back, maybe in front too. But the receiving blankets would be good when hes on us. Then he'll play with a toy & woodchips are hard to get off a towel. They almost click into the terry bubbled part like a cage lock. :hehe:

The hubby just tried a pillowcase & it works nice but I don't have an unlimited supply of those. Sheets either.

I :heart: the blankets! Baby blankets @ garage sales are a very good idea. Plus I like recycling things for reuse. This is a time where 2nd hand stores work well too!

Less, junk in our garbages. :D