• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

flock calling

junglechicken

Walking the driveway
about a week ago i was given a wonderful little ring neck parrot. unfortunately she has not been out of her cage in several years, and is not used to humans except just to have them feed and water her, clean her cage, etc. so she is cage bound. i have been leaving her cage door open for several hours a day, letting her choose if she wants to come out or stay in. i am also not in the room with her, because i feel the added stress of having me in there will deter her from wanting to explore. i don't want to overwhelm her, so i am trying to take things one step at a time.

she has come out a few times, but mostly still chooses to stay in her cage.

however, she has started to call us. she makes a little repetitive whistle which i them mimic back to her. i think this is a positive thing. she may not be ready to face this new world head on, but at least she wants to know that we are within hearing distance.

she has only been with us for 9 days now, so i know i have a long way to go, but i have time and am going to do things on her time. i don't want to scare her and set her back. i just want my girl to have a better life.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Congratulations. You sound like a good loving new parront

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m glad this little girl found your wonderful home! It sounds like since she’s flock calling you she probably enjoys your company while you’re in the room. I would spend more time in the room talking to her while going about your business. Reading aloud to her is also good because you can interact with her in a non threatening manner. Having a perch outside her door is also a good idea. You can attach a food cup to the outside of her cage, and put her favorite treats in it to entice her to come out.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. What is her name?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Awww congratulations! Can't wait to hear more about the progress and maybe see photos!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
however, she has started to call us. she makes a little repetitive whistle which i them mimic back to her. i
This is an extremely POSITIVE development! :) She's beginning to build her flock...you. :)

Like I said before...Keep on keeping on! ;)